Need computer help

vipra

Expert Expediter
My hard drive just died, and I removed the screws and slid it out. It looks like I just slide in a new one and reinstall Windows. Is that all there is to it, or are there some tricks I need to know? It's 80 GB, and I'd like to increase that, so is it OK to put in a 100GB drive? It's a Hewlett-Packard model ZE5385, if that matters. Thanks...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Were you able to make a back-up of your old hardrive?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>My hard drive just died, and I removed the screws and slid
>it out. It looks like I just slide in a new one and
>reinstall Windows. Is that all there is to it, or are there
>some tricks I need to know? It's 80 GB, and I'd like to
>increase that, so is it OK to put in a 100GB drive? It's a
>Hewlett-Packard model ZE5385, if that matters. Thanks...

It is that simple.... Sort of.

It all depends on a lot of things but here is what I tell people.

Make sure you have a recovery CD/DVD that comes with the computer (sometimes you have to order it).

Be prepared to follow the instructions (there should be some sort of instructions included with the computer) and be very patient.

Most of the time you will not worry about the size. many recovery disk are used for different sizes of drives and formats the drive regaurdless the size.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be sure your new drive uses the same interface as the old drive, i.e. SCSI, IDE, ATA and it should be pretty much a plug and play situation.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Are you running Windows XP? If so all you really have to do is put in the disk and follow the instructions. Once that is loaded up then you put in your startup/recovery disk in to load all the drivers for the video card, ethernet card, and what ever devices your computer has. Also when you done i would reccomend getting the newest drivers for your computer as it helps with not only speed and performance but security issues. Most the time if you goto the Windows Update it will give you windows updates along with driver updates for your computer.