Mechanical N 14 Cummins Problem ?

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
N 14 Cummins in 2000 model international 9900 sometime seems like has a flutter on acceleration, not quite a dead miss though . it usally smoothes out at a constant speed by which I mean cruising speed. Fuel filters have been changed though. Any thoughts on a possible method of diagnosis ?

jimmy

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Could very well be, engine will usally smooth out at a steady speed. problem occurs on acceleration or change of speed.

jimmy

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I don't know about the N14, but many of the older Cummins with the PT pumps had a rocker arm for each injector, and an adjustment had to be made periodically.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like a fuel supply problem (acceleration increases demand). Truck of that age I'd be looking at all the fuel suction lines for soft or collapsing hoses or air leaks. A older style Cummins fuel system like this will tolerate a bit of air in the fuel but will usually stumble on acceleration.

Based on what you said...an overhead adjustment (valves and injectors) isn't causing this....but on an N14 you should be doing this every 200,000 miles or less. They were a bit finicky if things got out of whack and could prematurely lose an injector. And when you do get this adjustment done ....spend the money and get a real Cummins shop to do it. There is a quick way....and a right way...and when it's done right you won't believe how smooth the old iron can run. Also, the quick way...if the adjustments haven't been done for a while...will bind up the injector plunger resulting in you needing a new injector for each one that binds up....saving a hundred can cost a thousand kind of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: greasytshirt

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sounds like a fuel supply problem (acceleration increases demand). Truck of that age I'd be looking at all the fuel suction lines for soft or collapsing hoses or air leaks. A older style Cummins fuel system like this will tolerate a bit of air in the fuel but will usually stumble on acceleration.

Based on what you said...an overhead adjustment (valves and injectors) isn't causing this....but on an N14 you should be doing this every 200,000 miles or less. They were a bit finicky if things got out of whack and could prematurely lose an injector. And when you do get this adjustment done ....spend the money and get a real Cummins shop to do it. There is a quick way....and a right way...and when it's done right you won't believe how smooth the old iron can run. Also, the quick way...if the adjustments haven't been done for a while...will bind up the injector plunger resulting in you needing a new injector for each one that binds up....saving a hundred can cost a thousand kind of thing.
This is a great answer.

Sent from my XT1585 using EO Forums mobile app