My weightloss journey

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I think that reaching for food while driving is a habit that many of us have whether or not we admit it. What I found is that it it depends on what you reach for. Portion control was another thing that we have addressed. I am sure most of us are guilty of grabbing a bag of chips and a coke at times, eating and drinking the whole thing.

This journey started in February of 2012, after we returned from vacation. I was looking at photos and couldn't believe the size I was. I knew that I had gained weight when I had cancer, from the medications, but didn't really realize I had continued to. It is quite easy to let things get out of control and find excuses. My excuse was because we were still in our Sprinter, but it was nothing more than an excuse.

I first cut out pop. Nick actually did this almost 2 years prior. The first few days were heck, as I was a Coke drinker and went through caffeine and major sugar withdraws, causing horrendous headaches. After that we started using the Weightwatchers Plus Points program. With the internet you can find nearly ANYTHING,so I found how to correctly calculate and track our points for free, with other apps than the weightwatchers app. (I had joined WW website for one month and didnt find it overly useful for myself, since I wasnt attending meetings or weigh ins) Nick actually adjusted well to the amount he was allowed to eat during the day. I was the one who had a hard time. He was allowed so many more points than I was, and was eating so much more often, that I loathed him. Mostly because at this time we ate out every meal, and enjoyed places like Applebees and Chilis. We didnt eat fast food except for the occasional trip to Taco Bell. Using the points apps and the my fitness pal app I was able to keep track of almost everything I put into my body. This did, however open my eyes to the fact that the food choices I was making we very poor ones, and easily discovered how I had gained some of the weight.

Things really started to change for me in June of 2012, when I went home to spend time with my mom, after losing her father. I was able to go grocery shopping and prepare my own food whenever I wanted, and didnt have to rely on someone else to prepare it. I started making smoothies that consisted of fruits and various vegetables. I have never really been a meat eater, so integrating chicken was kind of hard for me as well. Cutting down on the dairy posed a challenge too, since I LOVE cheese!! During the summer and into early fall while I was home I lost a good bit of weight, and was moving around a lot, since I was babysitting 2 6 month old boys, a 7 year old, and 9 year old.

In August I was able to go back out on the road with Nick, this time just riding in the straight truck he was driving. I loved having a refrigerator, microwave, and electric skillet to cook. I was able to make much healthier choices in food for us. I went home once again in November due to a family members illness, and spent a lot of time at the hospital trying to be supportive of my parents. Due to poor eating habits and awful hospital food, we ate from restaurants and had pizza. Then came Christmas, and having 5 family parties to eat at, well, I ended up gaining about 10 pounds during those two months. Once again it was back to work after the firat of the yead, and back to strict eating. January was stressful for us, and apparently I lose weight while under stress, and the holiday pounds came right off.

In February we made a big change. We changed carriers and I started driving the straight truck as well. Being the night driver having a normal eating schedule is a bit more difficult for me. I find it hard having breakfast in the middle of the night when I get up. Snacking is no longer as much a crutch as it used to be. Before this I would grab some Doritos, Coke, and a candy bar. Now I have little baggies with nuts, crackers, fruits, and sometimes raisinettes. I log all of this on MFP app. I do however stay away from "fat free" and "low fat" foods that contain artificial sweeteners and chemicals that I dont know what they are.

Earlier this week we removed nearly all of the processed foods from our truck, and are eating even healthier. a typical dinner is chicken breast, rice, and a vegetable of some sort. We still have pasta, oatmeal, cereal, and all the fruits and vegetables we want in smoothie form. Instead of using yogurt or juice I use almond or rice milk to blend with my frozen fruit. We have also bought a rice cooker and a small "personal" blender for our truck, that I can blend the smoothie in and drink from the same container.

The next step in our plan is to start going to a gym, to help build back some of the muscle strength that we have lost from a near sedentary lifestyle. Since our journey has began Nick has lost a total of about 80 pounds, and since February of 2012 I have lost 67. I was more than thrilled over the weekend when I bought a dress in a size that I haven't worn since I graduated highschool 10 years ago.

The first photo is from July 2012, second is December 2012 in the same outfit.

The third photo is of my drivers license photo taken December 2011 and February 2013.

The fourth photo is me in my new dress.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367957039610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367957039610.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 93
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367957059418.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367957059418.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367957079895.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367957079895.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 91
  • uploadfromtaptalk1367957115809.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367957115809.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Jenny, congratulations on the weight loss. You really look terrific! I found myself gaining weight after quitting smoking so maybe I'll try the weight watchers. Ken's been doing really well on the nutrisystem. He had a double whammy with quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time. I'm very proud of him!

I'll lose most of my gain over the summer with the gardening and lawn care but a little help sure wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Jenny, congratulations on the weight loss. You really look terrific! I found myself gaining weight after quitting smoking so maybe I'll try the weight watchers. Ken's been doing really well on the nutrisystem. He had a double whammy with quitting smoking and losing weight at the same time. I'm very proud of him!

I'll lose most of my gain over the summer with the gardening and lawn care but a little help sure wouldn't hurt.

He had lost quite a bit when we saw him the end of January.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
One thing I found to help make weight loss a little easier is figuring out why you eat. Some are emotional eaters, some out of boredom, and some to help stay awake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I entirely agree. I used to be an emotional eater. I was able to identify that and remedy the problem.

guido4475

Not a Member
Jenny, you do like awesome when I saw you this weekend. I know I should of complimented you than, but doing so in front of a husband or boyfreind is something to this day i have a hard time with because of an incident that happened years ago in a bar, even though I know nick would be cool with it I applaud the both of you and it has made me really think of how much I need to lose.I've been working on it, but I know it is going to take alot of work before I notice and feel any results. I have become more active lately, and I can feel the difference in how much more and better I can move and do things.like you, I have cut down on portions and have literally cut out pop, even though I still drink energy drinks while driving only. I don't drink coffee.I want to be at my weight goal in 2 years.I know it won't be easy but I am not giving up as well.and yes, ken looks awesome as well. He is doing one heck of a job and as much as he nags me and can be a pain in the butt, I really appreciatte his concern and help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Jenny's weight loss along with Nick's and Ken's is one heck of a motivator. I think I'll start today! Guido...let's give it go shall we?

My hubby really looked good this weekend and I was really proud of him.:)

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Maybe there should be a secret weigh-in at the Expo.
12 months later another weigh-in with a for THE BIGGEST LOSER.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I also forgot to include a few more things. I lost 5 pant sizes, 6 dress sizes, 1 1/2 shoes sizes, and no longer need wide with shoes. I never really realized how these things changed as well. It has been nice shopping in regular clothing stores, minus the fact of being short!!

It was hard for me to post these photos, as I have lived from "the neck up" for the past few years and hope that in some way I can help someone else in the transformation of changing their lifesytle to become healthier. It hasn't necessarily all been about weightloss, but living a better, healthier life for myself.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You look great Jenny! Good job!

This lifestyle is definitely hard on us. I have drifted right back into the same rut I dug myself out of a few years ago. I need to lose 50-60 lbs minimum to feel healthy again. It is amazing how much better we feel as our strength and conditioning improves.

Judy, how does the nutrisystem stuff work? What is required for storage and preparation in the truck? Keep in mind...I have NOTHING in the van for food preparation currently. My concerns with anything like that have always been 1. Storage space for enough to last a few weeks. 2. Preparation of the meals. I actually have more room and ability to make this happen in the van than I had in the straight truck so it's probably time to take another look. I would actually save money on the food...lol.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
You look great Jenny! Good job!

This lifestyle is definitely hard on us. I have drifted right back into the same rut I dug myself out of a few years ago. I need to lose 50-60 lbs minimum to feel healthy again. It is amazing how much better we feel as our strength and conditioning improves.

Judy, how does the nutrisystem stuff work? What is required for storage and preparation in the truck? Keep in mind...I have NOTHING in the van for food preparation currently. My concerns with anything like that have always been 1. Storage space for enough to last a few weeks. 2. Preparation of the meals. I actually have more room and ability to make this happen in the van than I had in the straight truck so it's probably time to take another look. I would actually save money on the food...lol.

Call Ken to see where and how he stores it in the sprinter. It comes 4 weeks complete in one big box and there's no food prep involved..other than popping it in the microwave. And he's able to change the monthly selections to the food that he prefers. And Good luck! :)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One thing I found to help make weight loss a little easier is figuring out why you eat. Some are emotional eaters, some out of boredom, and some to help stay awake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

All of the above....

When I was a smoker I used cigarettes in these circumstances and i was a very heavy smoker. Once I quit smoking I REALLY figured out how great food tastes.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Jenny

Great job! Thanks for posting what all you have done with the ups and the downs as it is inspirational.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
All of the above....

When I was a smoker I used cigarettes in these circumstances and i was a very heavy smoker. Once I quit smoking I REALLY figured out how great food tastes.

Have you written about how you quit smoking ?

I watched my mother smoke as she was dying of brain cancer. I stopped asking her to quit by this time.

It has to be one hell of an addiction.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Smoking is a funny addiction from how I see it.

Bob quit and that is it he just quit.

I have not written about how I finally quit as I was able to do this a couple years before we started trucking. It was not easy and it was not something I will ever go through again. It was very rough and my family was about ready to stick a cigarette in my mouth and light it for me. It took awhile before I was finally able to calm down and not want to hurt someone pretty much constantly. It really was bad enough that I will not inhale anything as I am afraid that I would immediatly become addicted again.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Exercise is also an important part of a weight loss program and for maintaining one's general health. I like to walk and try to walk 1½ miles every day. I have a gps app for my phone, MapMYWalk that tracks mileage shows my route. Once you get into a regular habit of walking and develop a steady pace all you really need is a watch to know how far you have gone.

WalMarts are a great place to walk. I like to walk the perimeter of the parking lot, including any adjacent strip malls.