Murphy Bed - Bolt Custom Truck Sleeper

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was asked in a different thread to post how easy it is to raise and lower our Murphy Bed. In the almost three years that we have had this sleeper I can only think of a couple of days that the bed was not raised so that we could eat or work at the table. If the bed was difficult to raise or lower we would probably not use the table as much.

I talked Bob into giving a demonstration of him raising and lowering the bed but I am also able to raise and lower the bed easily. The demo video is on Team Run Smart and if you have any questions about the operation I will be more then happy to answer them here or over on Team Run Smart:

Team Run Smart Blog

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I was asked in a different thread to post how easy it is to raise and lower our Murphy Bed. In the almost three years that we have had this sleeper I can only think of a couple of days that the bed was not raised so that we could eat or work at the table. If the bed was difficult to raise or lower we would probably not use the table as much.

I talked Bob into giving a demonstration of him raising and lowering the bed but I am also able to raise and lower the bed easily. The demo video is on Team Run Smart and if you have any questions about the operation I will be more then happy to answer them here or over on Team Run Smart:

Team Run Smart Blog

I'm the one that asked about the bed. Thanks for the demo. That's a sweet setup. I've got an old, old 63" sleeper and I've been working on the hillbilly version of that. :) I built 2 boxes approximately 2' x 3'. One at the foot of the bed and one at the head. The tops are hinged for access for when the bed is in the upright position. I hinged a piece of polyurethaned 1/2" hardwood plywood that the mattress sits on. I was afraid it would sag under my 220 lbs but it's still straight after 5 months.

Next I have to make a fold down table and get cushions made. I really like the slide bolts that secure your bed in the upright position. I've been stretching a rope across. lol That won't be nearly rigid enough for supporting the table.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Anything that works! I am glad the video gave you some ideas. I am amazed at how much more room having the murphy bed gives us.

Thank you for asking the question I really appreciated it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had the Bolt bed in my truck. It made a world of difference in comfort on the road being able to easily swap from a "bedroom" to a "dining room". It was almost like having two walk in closets to live in instead of just one.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have one in my Bentz and I can't imagine having a sleeper without one. IMHO it's one of the top sleeper improvements over the years.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Maybe I'm being stoopid trying to make my own. How much does something like that cost? Any links?

You could call Don Bentz [Bolt Custom Sleepers, Fort Wayne, In] and see if he'll give you some numbers for a do it yourself job, [he'll naturally want you to let him do it, though], because he's a nice guy.
If that doesn't get you anywhere, it's the same system that's been used in campers for many years, maybe that will give you some ideas on where to find the info. I remember my Dad building a similiar system, using cables to hang the beds from the walls when down, but I don't recall how they were secured when folded up. [I was a teenager, such things didn't interest me then.]
Mine has two foldup beds, and I replaced the mattress on the top one with storage containers, so it's pretty handy. And they are very easy to raise and lower.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Maybe I'm being stoopid trying to make my own. How much does something like that cost? Any links?

Do a lookup for Murphy beds, they will have a kit available and plans to build it. You may have to tweak the measurements a bit for your application. I built a queen size in a spare bedroom, it works well. They are out of Louisville.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Having the Murphy Bed opens up the sleeper and allows us to have what appears like two rooms. We have had six people comfortable in our sleeper visiting as our front seats swivel.

This past weekend while iced in at Fort Worth, TX we easily had another couple join us for meals. I was able to cook while everyone visited and we could all eat comfortably. The men sat in the front swivel seats and the ladies sat at the table. In these situations I have pie tins that fit under the paper plates that allow cutting and no worries of a paper plate folding.

Wandering Fool I agree with Cheri call Don Bentz and ask him or like the x06col says do a little research and I imagine there are kits.

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Having the Murphy Bed opens up the sleeper and allows us to have what appears like two rooms. We have had six people comfortable in our sleeper visiting as our front seats swivel.

This past weekend while iced in at Fort Worth, TX we easily had another couple join us for meals. I was able to cook while everyone visited and we could all eat comfortably. The men sat in the front swivel seats and the ladies sat at the table. In these situations I have pie tins that fit under the paper plates that allow cutting and no worries of a paper plate folding.

Wandering Fool I agree with Cheri call Don Bentz and ask him or like the x06col says do a little research and I imagine there are kits.

Maybe it'd be worth it for my next truck but not this one. There are too many other things I need to spend money on first like valve adjustment (probably the 1st one this 240k miles truck has ever had), cruise control, tire pressure monitors, an espar heater, rooftop a/c. It's a long list and I'm sure I left some things out.

If I can make something that's functional and comfortable I'll be happy and now that you've shown me the latch mechanism I think it will work out. I'm picturing latches like what they'd use for a swinging gate.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I never raise ours, best work is done when you have a tool to work with and I work good horizontal.. ask the misses.. Bob should try this