Canada multi trucks :one load

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
Can anyone tell me the rules for a truck crossing into Canada with just part of a load and the remaining freight coming in on another truck.Did one of these a few weeks ago, what a mess.After talking to a broker I'm not the only one having a problem with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS HAVE A GOOD ONE

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just to clarify, I believe you're talking about 1 BOL for 2 trucks. How about it RobA, sounds fishy to me.(Or is that "how aboot it?")

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
NOTHING whatsoever is too fishy not to have happened.

This is a definite messy situation.
I sorted one out a few years ago; not only did the shipper load on different trucks but used different carriers!
Man...was THAT ever a screw-up!

Anyways; the basic rule is that the papers presented to clear a shipment...whether a one piece one pound or a multi piece truck load...must only account for the goods being cleared at that time.

The shipper should have created two sets of papers; one for each truck. THAT is the easy way to handle the scenario. Unfortunately; shippers rarely take the easy way out.

One way to handle a shipment loaded on two trucks is for BOTH TRUCKS to be presented to Customs at the same time. Both drivers go to the broker; get the entry; list both Cargo Control Numbers on a B3B form and get cleared that way.
This is another procedure; GOODS TO ARRIVE that can be followed as well.

If you find yourself in this situation; tell your dispatch that the load will be a problem. Have dispatch call the Broker to see the best way to handle the situation. Follow the instructions exactly and given.
There are no hard and fast rules; each situation is different. It depends on the paperwork, the client, the border crossing point etc.

ALWAYS...when accepting a load to Canada... make sure the shipper doesn't toss something else that might be laying on the dock and has to go. Tell them everything MUST be on the Customs papers. You ;the driver/carrier; can be fined for undeclared goods on your vehicle.

I hope this helps.