MPG w/Chevy duramax

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
In the next year or so I may be buying another 1-ton diesel van for expediting. My Ford E-350's w/7.3L diesel average around 18 mpg. However, since Ford discontinued the 7.3 diesel after the 2002 year model, I will be looking at different manufacturers this time around. I am particularly interested in determining the mpg of the vans w/Chevy Duramax. I am also curious as to how they hold up endurance wise. Can the Duramax expect to roll up 700,000 or more miles like the old 7.3 Powerstrokes? Any specific problems with them to be aware of? Any input is appreciated.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I had a 2006 2500 ext.Chevy Duramax. I put 90,000 miles on 1st. yr. with express 1, driving all conditions and alot of mountains with loads avg. size of800 to 1500 lbs. I avg. 18mpg. but got as high as 22mpg on open roads driving 65mph. It had plenty of power in hills. We would do alot of idling for a.c. and heat whenwe did it avg. like14mpg. Replaced fuel filter at 50,000 miles, hard to find in stock at dealers and cost 250.00 to install. Only had trouble once on way to Larado,TX it was blowing more deisel out exhaust than normal, dealer said the turbo needed to be relearned and ran fine after that. Tires wore well and had another 30,000 left when we sold at 90,000 miles. I am 6'4"" so was short on leg room compared to our previous E250 ford and rode alittle rougher but liked the long wheelbase better. Front seats were uncomfortable. We had 2 Sprinters before and liked the Chevy 100 times better but missed the head room. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Agreed.

I had a 2006 Chevy Express 3500 Ext WB with a Duramax.

Great engine! It is a Generation 4 product.

Avg 18 mpg.

One huge difference, I never idle any engine. If you buy a pre-owned 2006 Chevy, or newer, the Driver Information Center in the instrument cluster will give you an LED readout showing the number of hours the engine has run. DO THE MATH. Don't buy one that has been idled. You'll be able to tell real quick by checking the truck's "In Service" date and calculating the total number of days the truck has been in service.

Idling is hard on EGR's. Not to mention the excessive wear it places on every part in and on the engine. If your hot, go sit inside the truck stop, or Burger King, or Panera Bread, etc an use their A/C. If you have to sleep during the day, buy slip over windows screens from skreenz.com and run a battery-powered fan. For heat, buy an Espar unit. Don't idle.

In a 2500 series van the additional 700 lbs of weight a Duramax block adds over the weight of the 6.0L gasser, puts you too close to the GVWR. Go with the 3500 series. Make sure it is an extended wheelbase. Ford does not change their WB in an extended van. I think they ride very rough. Why? Ford simply adds on more body behind the standard WB. You'll be tempted to leave the skid close to the back door and that makes the rear end very heavy. The front wheels bounce like a kangaroo.

GM extends the actual WB from 139" out to 155" and it rides much better than the Ford.

Headroom is always a problem in any conventional van.

I am 6'4" and the legroom was adequate for me. I recommend ordering one with the power seat option. Also get power-heated mirrors. And order without any glass in the rear and side doors. I also recommend the slider door instead of the side "swing out" doors.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
2kats... thanks very much. I have gotten good feedback about the duramax. I will look at them closely when it's time to buy again.. by the way, we are neighbors practically. I live just up the road in Nicholasville. Are you currently leased on with an expedite carrier? It would be interesting to compare notes sometime. thanks again.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
NO to your question, I have been diagnosed with severe ostioarthritis (sp) in my left hip and have a difficult time walking without cane. I am in process of getting disability and then getting hip replaced. My wife and I miss expediting but need more steady income now but might consider it down road but probably get a setup like The Rev. I still keep in contact with a few drivers by phone, weekly, and read EO almost daily to keep up with all excitement.

curto018

Seasoned Expediter
i currently own reverend hall's old 2006 van, it is pretty nice!!! has 196,000 miles and counting, drives just like a new one!! get 18-19mpg driving 75mph, get better if i slow down, but thats hard for me to do!! has plenty of power, i keep thinking of switching the rear end from a 3.73 to 3.42 to see if that would help with the mileage but can't find where anyone has done that yet, i'm still teetering on the fence with it.
no problems with the motor or tranny yet, have just had normal wheel bearing and steering arm replacements at around 170,000, should be good for a while!! i'm very pleased with it and would highly recommend one!!

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Are any of these figures for cutaway's with a 80-something inch wide box or could someone who has one chime in?