MOVED COMPANIES

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
thought i would update you all with the latest info on my saga as a new O/O. If you will recall i started with CTX on August 1, 2007. I ran about 7000 miles with them with ample sit time (stuck in Iowa and St louis total of 5 days). I really liked CTX as they really dont bother the driver at all, no sat tracking, no pesky dispatch "where you at calls", and they paid right on time. All around nice people!

The problem is the freight, mostly NLM freight with the bid rates being pretty low. I dont hold it against the company as the bid is the bid so they dont have the latitude to do a whole lot with it. I was paid on a percentage basis so revenue is directly proportional to the rates being charged. Unfortunately, though i liked the company I could not generate enough revenue on those freight rates to continue. SO I MADE A MOVE.

I am now with FEDEX CC. Lots more oversite via the all knowing Qual, but based on the 3 loads i took the rates are much better despite the fact my percentage is less. It may be a bit early to be a fair comparison though as two of the loads were HAZMAT. Lots of run offers though. I worry about the acceptance percentages issue as when i started i turned down a few loads that had problems like excessive pick up wait time (8 hours for a run that paid about 1.07 a mile). Wammo you get the phone call, i cant say i care for that. I like the professionalism though. Well time will tell just wanted to update ya.

PS. I hate the qualcom directions for the hazmat loads they really need to give the street names with the route numbers especially in rural areas! lots of unessisary agravation!!! or am i missing something?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>
>PS. I hate the qualcom directions for the hazmat loads they
>really need to give the street names with the route numbers
>especially in rural areas! lots of unessisary agravation!!!
>or am i missing something?

The local directions that FedEx Custom Critical obtains are generaly provided by folks not necessarily familiar with truck routes nor the names of the streets that they subconsciously drive to work. It is best to always use whatever means necessary to confirm the routing to the customers.. As an aside, you may travel with Hazmat on any legal route you desire, just inform dispatch your new route. Don't look for more money if your route is extra miles and be sure the new route fits the time alotted.

Am I missing something?, you ask. Perhaps a good quality GPS system will take the mystery out of the lost customer syndrome. Welcome to our favorite carrier.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
got the good GPS. with truck routing! I dont like accepting responsibility for routing hazmat loads let the carrier take the risks associated with routing plan. All I want is some street names in ( ) next to the route numbers. I dont think thats to much to ask.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I am not sure where you are having your problems at. We do sometimes have to remind the dispatcher to run the HazMat route when we do our departure call. We run a lot of HazMat loads and on some we have to write the route out on a piece of paper and have found them to be pretty accurate. We usually have many more problems with the customers directions and have found our GPS to be invaluable in these situations.

We also thoroughly go over our route before we start on our trip.

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
no offense meant but why would anyone want to relie on direction from someone who more then likly never driven a truck especially when hauling haz-mat with a gps a map and a little common knowledge i would think you would be better off doing your own routes thats not to say dispatches or customer routes are all bad

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
With FedEx Custom Critical the dispatchers have at there disposal a HazMat routing program. Very nice system and the dispacher can run your HazMat route very quickly.
It is still up to you to double check that route and then also make sure you follow it.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Bob and Linda,after calling in depart info,have dispatch give you the haz-mat routing.I have not found a gps that will give you haz-mat directions,be lucky to get it to give you true truck directions.The Haz-Mat directions the Fed gives you are correct,but the c-link routing wont be correct,then check your map,just a little commomn sence.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Directions are my responsibilities not a dispatcher or their system. If wrongly routed I am responsible for any fines not dispatcher or company. Contacting shipper or Consignee for assistance with directions has been helpful when in doubt