Morgan Freeman on black history month and racism

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have no idea about his marital status or plans. It's his common sense regarding black history month and racism I find refreshing.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I always admired Morgan Freeman, until a year or two ago. He had a bit of a fender bender, wrecked his car late at night, broke his wrist, [I think], and had no good explanation for the young lady in the passenger seat.
Shortly after, his wife of many years filed for divorce.
I reserve admiration for those who respect their partner/spouse in public and private.
And I'm always surprised by those who turn out to be just another lying cheat. :(

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I liked him in Electric Company. You take an m that's mmm, and an o-p op. Put em all together and they spell mop.:D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know nothing about his personal life and have no interest in it. I enjoy his acting. Some of his roles he's so good you forget the character isn't real. I appreciate his sensible position on race as displayed in the example video.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
His step-granddaughter is about 29 years old, and bears no blood relation so what the heck? Don't these Hollywood stars have such special status that societal norms don't apply to them? Plus, what's up with the granddaughter - she's an adult also, and it takes two to do that dance. But all that aside, one can't help but admire his color-blind approach to society.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Regardless what his personal life is, his point is right on the button.

If we are to take race relations seriously in this country, it starts with Rev. King's point that you should not look at the person's color but their character.

The fallacy has been built around the need to address every issue of so called racism and bigotry to support the plantation mentality at all level and among many different groups that have been so prevalent in our society. His comments are the start of a realistic and overdue approach to race and racism that should have happened in 1965, not 2011.

No matter how you cut it we are living in the turn of the 20th century mentality with 21st century false ideals.

Last edited:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Regardless what his personal life is, his point is right on the button.

If we are to take race relations seriously in this country, it starts with Rev. King's point that you should not look at the person's color but their character.

This was the main goal of what Dr MLK's "I Have A Dream" teachings was all about.

Morgan Freeman is one of the greatest role models that ALL Americans could ever wish for when it comes to race relations within this country.

Forget the Spike Lee's, the Jesse Jackson's, the Farrakhans, the Al Sharptons, and especially the Danny Glovers with regards to listening to "High Profile - Well Known Amongst most Americans" individuals when race issues are involved.

I have high respect for the Gentleman. (Even with his extra-curricular activities in his personal life. Hell, Ted Kennedy KILLED a woman and millions still loved him)

Here's a couple of more videos that have Morgan Freeman talking about racism/race issues in this country.

First one you really have to listen carefully to the questions being asked. Very Amateurish. The "mic" was set up poorly for the ones asking the questions. You can hear Freeman just fine.

YouTube - Morgan Freeman interview on race

This second one was conducted by that "tingle down my leg" goofball Chris Matthews. Chris's questions are almost unintelligible as most of his questions are, but watch Morgans face when he brings up the Obawa question. It's almost like he doesn't even want to go down that line of questioning. He answers the question very politely though.

YouTube - Morgan Freeman On Hardball!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was listening to some talk show here in Detroit that just ripped into Freeman and called him all kinds of names. They felt it wasn't a good idea to expose their kids to this way of thinking. They also held up Cosby as an example to follow. The problem with Cosby is his attitude about race and the successes of others among the black community are dictated by those who feel there has to be racism under every rock. Too bad he has turned out this way, if his thinking was along the same lines as Freeman, everyone may be better off.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...the successes of others among the black community are dictated by those who feel there has to be racism under every rock.
People like Spike Lee, Spike Moss, Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakhan, etc. must continue to stoke the fires of racism or they would be out of a job. Uncle Toms like Cosby and Freemen make for great fuel.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Walter Williams had an outstanding article recently about the state of black culture and the resulting lag in educational standards and results in the black community (emphasis mine).
"In my "Black Education Disaster" column (12/22/10), I presented National Assessment of Educational Progress test data that demonstrated that an average black high school graduate had a level of reading, writing and math proficiency of a white seventh- or eighth-grader. The public education establishment bears part of the responsibility for this disaster, but a greater portion is borne by black students and their parents, many of whom who are alien and hostile to the education process.
Let's look at the education environment in many schools and ask how conducive it is to the education process. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, nationally during 2007-2008, more than 145,000 teachers were physically attacked. Six percent of big-city schools report verbal abuse of teachers and 18 percent report non-verbal disrespect for teachers.
An earlier NCES study found that 18 percent of the nation's schools accounted for 75 percent of the reported incidents of violence, and 6.6 percent accounted for 50 percent. So far as serious violence, murder and rapes, 1.9 percent of schools reported 50 percent of the incidents. The preponderance of school violence occurs in big-city schools attended by black students.
What's the solution? Violence, weapons-carrying, gang activity and student or teacher intimidation should not be tolerated. Students engaging in such activity should be summarily expelled.
Some might worry about the plight of expelled students. I think we should have greater concern for those students whose education is made impossible by thugs and the impossible learning environment they create.
Another part of the black education disaster has to do with the home environment. More than 70 percent of black children are born to unwedded mothers, who are often themselves born to unwedded mothers. Today's level of female-headed households is new in black history. Until the 1950s, almost 80 percent of black children lived in two-parent households, as opposed to today's 35 percent..."

Black Education - Walter E. Williams - Townhall Conservative
It should come as no surprise that opinions like those of Freeman and Cosby some from members of a generation that grew up in the 1950s. It's fair to say that the ruination of black culture is a direct result of LBJ's Great Society nonsense and other meddling by government liberals. Granted, the civil rights movement was overdue and needed to be implemented. However, the results speak for themselves; something is seriously wrong in a culture that creates youth who think of a prison sentence as a badge of honor and whose primary ambitions are to be rap stars or professional football or basketball players
"Some of today's black political leadership is around my age, 75, such as Reps. Maxine Waters, Charles Rangel, John Conyers, former Virginia governor Douglas Wilder, Jesse Jackson and many others. Forget that they are liberal Democrats but ask them whether their parents, kin or neighbors would have tolerated children cursing to, or in the presence of, teachers and other adults. Ask them what their parents would have done had they assaulted an adult or teacher. Ask whether their parents would have accepted the grossly disrespectful behavior seen among many black youngsters on the streets and other public places using foul language and racial epithets. Then ask why should today's blacks tolerate something our ancestors would not.
The sorry and tragic state of black education is not going to be turned around until there's a change in what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior by young people. The bulk of that change has to come from within the black community."
Talk about hitting the bulls-eye - Dr. Williams sums up the situation quite nicely.