Morgan dry box

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone know if Morgan installs a separate fuse panel? If so, where do they usually locate it? If not, where do they wire in the marker lights? I'm looking for the fuse for the marker lights and tag light.
Thanks for any help.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If it's a freightliner it's an auto resetting pos I have one in my truck and lately when I hit a large chuckholes the auto breaker for my box clearance and tail lights go out , to reset it you need to just shut the truck off I found this out when I got pulled over for no lights on the box , yea that was fun, it happened once before 5 years ago. So I knew what caused it , I told mr statey and he said yea the roads suck , shut off truck waited 15 seconds and then restarted it , and sure enough lights back on! Brilliant design....... Not

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
cascadia. 1st time I have had to look for this fuse, and of course, it is dark too

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't think there is one it's a freightliner, and if it's like others I've seen it has the same system , check the connection at the rear of the frame rail left side inside there a larger rubber multi connector , they get wet and corrode pretty easy, I cut mine out and used heat shrink crimp butt connectors then used self vulcanizing silicone tape to wrap up the whole thing , of course this was also in the dead of winter at night! Not fun.
There's lots of cascading owners here maybe someone will chime in soon , good luck

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
thanks. I checked all of that, the best I can in the dark. I'm fairly certain it will be a fuse somewhere. It is just the marker lights and tag light. Interior lights work fine.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Look for anywhere that the wires are zip tied together or in a loop with wire conduit on it. The wires will rub on the conduit and continue to wear and corrode until they break in those spots.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Look for anywhere that the wires are zip tied together or in a loop with wire conduit on it. The wires will rub on the conduit and continue to wear and corrode until they break in those spots.
Thanks. I think it will have to wait til morning. Too cold and dark.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Back passenger side of box about second box cross member in should be a single weather tight plug. should be where the issue is. I have a Morgan and mine did the same thing. I cut mine out and wired direct back together and have not had a problem since. This is not a big flat plug but a round one about the size of a small cigar.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back passenger side of box about second box cross member in should be a single weather tight plug. should be where the issue is. I have a Morgan and mine did the same thing. I cut mine out and wired direct back together and have not had a problem since. This is not a big flat plug but a round one about the size of a small cigar.

Thanks, I found that earlier. I'll check there again.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Problem solved.
There is 1 fuse for the box marker lights. It is an inline 15 amp fuse inside the battery box, connected directly to the battery. Blown, changed, all is well again.
Thanks for all the replies.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Problem solved.
There is 1 fuse for the box marker lights. It is an inline 15 amp fuse inside the battery box, connected directly to the battery. Blown, changed, all is well again.

That's good to know must have been put there by the body installer although I've never seen that there before
Was this a tractor conversion or a factory stretch ?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's good to know must have been put there by the body installer although I've never seen that there before
Was this a tractor conversion or a factory stretch ?
I called Morgan bodies to find out where they get power from. He said check fuses first. I told him I did that already, twice. Then he said there is one "hot" wire in the battery box with a fuse. He said they have to run it there because of Freightliner multiplexing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Problem solved.

I would suggest checking things over and getting very friendly with that wiring to make sure that the fuse didn't blow for a reason. That plug mentioned could very well contain a problem. We had the same type of rubber plugs on the trailers that we pulled and when my friend and I were doing a PTI we noticed smoke coming from his. The coating on the wires had actually rubbed off inside the plug and were shorting out.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would suggest checking things over and getting very friendly with that wiring to make sure that the fuse didn't blow for a reason. That plug mentioned could very well contain a problem. We had the same type of rubber plugs on the trailers that we pulled and when my friend and I were doing a PTI we noticed smoke coming from his. The coating on the wires had actually rubbed off inside the plug and were shorting out.

Good advice.
And yes, I did check everything out. I also replaced the tag light. It looked like the original tag light assembly was letting water in and shorting it out, blowing the fuse.
The fuse was replaced, tag light replaced. I got the truck washed, no water in new light, no blown fuse.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before I had the blown fuse, I had been replacing a burned out tag light every few weeks. I thought it was just cheap bulbs and rough roads causing the burned out bulbs. If anyone has a similar issue with a tag light burning out regularly, I would suggest replacing the whole light assembly, not just the bulb.