Model years of promasters/transits to avoid?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Looking to buy a van soon. 3500 long and tall. I know the first few years of both of these had a few notorious problems. If I get something....2018 or newer? Have most of these issues been resolved? If it was you what would be your minimum year?

This is a very generic question, obviously my van buying decision would come down to a lot more than this, just looking for in general.

Thanks.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking to buy a van soon. 3500 long and tall. I know the first few years of both of these had a few notorious problems. If I get something....2018 or newer? Have most of these issues been resolved? If it was you what would be your minimum year?

This is a very generic question, obviously my van buying decision would come down to a lot more than this, just looking for in general.

Thanks.
If you were me, you'd buy a 2004-2006 sprinter and carry tools. And enjoy years of not breaking down under load. Or being towed.

Of course, you aren't me. Buy something and drive. If you buy brand new it could still explode from a defect. IMO just get going and try to steer the ship.

I wouldn't buy either, unless it was 50% the cost of a 2020 with low miles.

IMO the reliable cargo van ended with the advent of DEF/DPF.

I know you are buying gas...personally I think it's a coin toss, and you'll end up somewhere between those internet stories of blowing up at 30k miles and Ntimevan's 500k promaster. Who knows. I have a friend that can't decide either. He sat at home this week, I made $5000. Like Nike says, just do it

(No the Transit water ingress hasn't been fixed. They did flip the lid for 2020 to make it better, but it still pours all over the engine and harness. Transmissions are still dying early, guibo madness but improved parts, etc etc. And Promasters are still randomly breaking too many things to list for a lot of owners. But the majority of the vans are running the majority of the time, and a smart business owner will always stay above the costs. Vehicle out of warranty? Have an emergency fund, and just drive the tires off it.)

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
If you were me, you'd buy a 2004-2006 sprinter and carry tools. And enjoy years of not breaking down under load. Or being towed.

Of course, you aren't me. Buy something and drive. If you buy brand new it could still explode from a defect. IMO just get going and try to steer the ship.

I wouldn't buy either, unless it was 50% the cost of a 2020 with low miles.

IMO the reliable cargo van ended with the advent of DEF/DPF.

I know you are buying gas...personally I think it's a coin toss, and you'll end up somewhere between those internet stories of blowing up at 30k miles and Ntimevan's 500k promaster. Who knows. I have a friend that can't decide either. He sat at home this week, I made $5000. Like Nike says, just do it

(No the Transit water ingress hasn't been fixed. They did flip the lid for 2020 to make it better, but it still pours all over the engine and harness. Transmissions are still dying early, guibo madness but improved parts, etc etc. And Promasters are still randomly breaking too many things to list for a lot of owners. But the majority of the vans are running the majority of the time, and a smart business owner will always stay above the costs. Vehicle out of warranty? Have an emergency fund, and just drive the tires off it.)
I would be all for it but problem is very few carriers that are worth a :censoredsign: will take me on with a van that old.

Someone on a promaster forum made a good point, if I get an older one with 100-200k on it, either the issues will have already been fixed or it didn't have the problem. I have a running list of what to look for red flag wise, engine tick being the most prevelant. But yeah, it's time to roll the damn dice.

But honestly I'm kinda torn between even getting back into expediting or just drive a local Pepsi/coke/beer delivery job with my class A. Then I can take this down payment I have saved up and put it to a house instead, and then probably look into going back to school for something else, real estate has been interesting me lately.

Waiting for my tax money to come back so I got some time to think it over.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's an intelligent analysis. This job is a waste of time unless A- you love it or B- you have an "in" to something most people don't. I have both, so it's worth it. But I can count on one hand how many deliveries were worth taking into the USA last year - the rates are simply too low

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Reactions: dc843

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
That's an intelligent analysis. This job is a waste of time unless A- you love it or B- you have an "in" to something most people don't. I have both, so it's worth it. But I can count on one hand how many deliveries were worth taking into the USA last year - the rates are simply too low

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
I do love it in a way, and I would make more money even with the lower rates than I would a local class a driving job, at least where I am. Albeit not a lot more. But idk if it's enough more to be having to live in a van weeks at a time, all the extra costs involved with that, and sacrificing a normal sleep schedule.

Yeah if I had something special like you do maybe it'll be different, but ill just be going in a dime a dozen. The plan would be to work up to buying a straight truck and starting a fleet, but who knows what's even going to happen with big trucks in the next few decades with the self driving talk.

Ty for the advice

Reactions: brokcanadian