Mississippi allows NON CDL to drive church buses.."Jesus takes the wheel act"

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, Jesus is their co-driver, so what could possibly go wrong?

church-bus-crash-485x273.jpg

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There must be something in the water. I was just reading some stuff the other day about a Georgia legislator that thinks driver's licenses should be done away with, on the basis that the requirement to have a license unduly restricts your freedom of movement in a free society. A number of ministers in the outfit I belong to seemed to be in agreement. I worry about us.

It's passing strange to think that church activity may be the cause of a bumper-crop of Darwin awards being handed out in years to come.

Edit; add-on: I decided to look, found the link. Here's the rather bizarre story. Can't help but think the honorable legislator got pulled over, then ticketed for not having his license for whatever reason.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/georgia-republican-nobody-should-need-a-driver-s-license

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There must be something in the water. I was just reading some stuff the other day about a Georgia legislator that thinks driver's licenses should be done away with, on the basis that the requirement to have a license unduly restricts your freedom of movement in a free society. A number of ministers in the outfit I belong to seemed to be in agreement. I worry about us.

It's passing strange to think that church activity may be the cause of a bumper-crop of Darwin awards being handed out in years to come.

Edit; add-on: I decided to look, found the link. Here's the rather bizarre story. Can't help but think the honorable legislator got pulled over, then ticketed for not having his license for whatever reason.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/georgia-republican-nobody-should-need-a-driver-s-license

Wow what a whack job.....

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Just wait till they hear from their insurance carrier, lol.
BTW: the Ga legislator in the link from Mj's post is seriously deranged. Truly, deeply, madly deranged.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I like how general public safety is trumped by not wanting to inconvenience churches...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like how general public safety is trumped by not wanting to inconvenience churches...

It's not even about whether it inconveniences churches. This goes to the level of people not wanting government interference in their business on any level. The fact is, and I speak here as a member of a seriously Christian church-- sometimes government interference is a good thing. Making sure that drivers in general are able to drive safely, and making sure that the drivers of large vehicles--- 30 passenger church buses ARE large vehicles-- is a proper function of government, looking out for the general welfare of the public.

I WANT government to enforce fire-safety codes in any church building I might enter. I WANT government to enforce codes that keep children safe in church-run day care and church-schools. I especially want government to make sure that the church bus is safe, and that the driver is fit to drive and has the training to drive a vehicle that size. These are not unreasonable regulations. If the bus or the driver isn't safe--- do you really want them on the road?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
It's not even about whether it inconveniences churches. This goes to the level of people not wanting government interference in their business on any level. The fact is, and I speak here as a member of a seriously Christian church-- sometimes government interference is a good thing. Making sure that drivers in general are able to drive safely, and making sure that the drivers of large vehicles--- 30 passenger church buses ARE large vehicles-- is a proper function of government, looking out for the general welfare of the public.

I WANT government to enforce fire-safety codes in any church building I might enter. I WANT government to enforce codes that keep children safe in church-run day care and church-schools. I especially want government to make sure that the church bus is safe, and that the driver is fit to drive and has the training to drive a vehicle that size. These are not unreasonable regulations. If the bus or the driver isn't safe--- do you really want them on the road?

No...it's ALL about the inconvenience of the organization to have a properly licensed driver for there bus...nothing more...nothing less...there special..obviously they have members in high places...or this would never seen the light of day...
What about the Boy Scouts ..I know from experience. .it is a hassle to find someone to drive the group bus legally. ..but I guess when Jesus is on your side ....who needs regulations.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Asj, I really don't want to get a religious war going here-- this is not the time or the place for that.

I would note that your prejudice is showing though.

It seems to me that the most hard-nosed, fundamentalist, hell-fire and brimstone Baptist preacher has all he can do to hold a candle to the more militant atheists when it comes to "my way or the highway" thinking.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Re: Mississippi allows NON CDL to drive church buses.."Jesus takes the wheel act"

Asj, I really don't want to get a religious war going here-- this is not the time or the place for that.

I would note that your prejudice is showing though.

It seems to me that the most hard-nosed, fundamentalist, hell-fire and brimstone Baptist preacher has all he can do to hold a candle to the more militant atheists when it comes to "my way or the highway" thinking.

Not prejudice. .it's the fact...

Yes... the Atheists and there crusades..

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I applaud your view - but it's not in agreement with the legislators who said it is about allowing churches to "pick somebody to drive the bus", or with the anti-regulation crowd. None of whom offer specific regulations, I notice. But every regulation has a reason, including the need for a driver who has the correct knowledge to operate a vehicle carrying up to 30 passengers. Especially when most are children, this legislation trades their safety for the convenience of the churches, and that bothers me very much. Getting a CDL isn't difficult, and it should not be waived for such a flimsy reason.
There just aren't enough who share your common sense view.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...this legislation trades their safety for the convenience of the churches, and that bothers me very much. Getting a CDL isn't difficult, and it should not be waived for such a flimsy reason.
There just aren't enough who share your common sense view.

I totally agree with what you said. And for them to say ""This just allows small churches, some don't have people with commercial licenses at all, and they can pick a person to drive the bus," scares the bejesus out of me :eek:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I totally agree with what you said. And for them to say ""This just allows small churches, some don't have people with commercial licenses at all, and they can pick a person to drive the bus," scares the bejesus out of me :eek:

Small churches can't afford enormous lawsuits either. This idea was not well thought out....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Small churches can't afford enormous lawsuits either. This idea was not well thought out....
As if a bus driver with a CDL would somehow prevent a lawsuit?

In most states, ambulance, fire truck, snow plows, garbage truck and other city and state vehicles do not require a CDL. The occasional trip of a church bus, usually over residential streets at low speeds, isn't going to get much safer if the driver has a CDL.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As if a bus driver with a CDL would somehow prevent a lawsuit?

In most states, ambulance, fire truck, snow plows, garbage truck and other city and state vehicles do not require a CDL. The occasional trip of a church bus, usually over residential streets at low speeds, isn't going to get much safer if the driver has a CDL.

I still think it leaves something open that doesn't have to be. If I recall, the law-- federal, not state-- is that any vehicle that is over 15 passenger capacity in this type of service requires a CDL with passenger endorsement. I could be wrong of course, but that's what I seem to recall reading/hearing. All those other vehicles you mention are considerably less than 15 passenger-- unless the injured party in the ambulance has a lot of friends who want to ride with him-- and the church bus does occasionally make longer than just in-town trips. Taking the youth from our Lombard, Illinois church to a big meeting in Springfield comes to mind.... that's much more than local and residential streets. The garbage-truck, fire and ambulance and city snow-plows hardly ever leave city limits, and if they do they're still well within the 100 air-mile allowance. The church bus might not be.

So-- I have to say that this leaves a door open for expensive suits that doesn't need to be open.