Fuel for Thought Missed Opportunities

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
“I won’t take a load for less than $x.xx per mile.” “The least I will run for is $x.xx per mile”. “Why do they even call me with such ridiculous offers?” “I can’t believe someone would haul a load for $x.xx !” We all hear these comments and many others like them all the time, but I wonder if these people ever consider the alternatives ?

The first two statements are basically the same. If you mark that line in the sand, how long before you relent? How long will you wait for that magical number? While every mile you run has an associated cost, so does sitting and waiting. Everyday you sit and wait, without a load, is revenue lost. So, again I ask, how long do you wait?

READ MORE....

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Taking a 6000 lb load for .73 as an add on is one thing however would yA have taken that as a dedicated run ? I doubt it! And most of us arnt allowed to double dip or double load whatever you may call it.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
But when doubling up on a load does the broker/customer know your doubling up, do they realize why the rate is cheaper as you do, cuz your doubling down & turning a profit on 2 items combined as one? Serious inquiry i'm asking here to understand this. Because if the broker just see's you taking the 2nd piece w/ you at a lower rate & doesnt have a clue to why your going cheap then they assume they can ask for prices like that in the future there for hurting other drivers long term in the industry no?

So what im asking in short, does the broker know your combining pieces or is this a 1 piece load "To Them?" And only you & your dispatch know your doubling up?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Or I'm my case if I take one from pimp a and one from pimp b ? If the other finds out you could risk losing both if a customer complains

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But when doubling up on a load does the broker/customer know your doubling up, do they realize why the rate is cheaper as you do, cuz your doubling down & turning a profit on 2 items combined as one? Serious inquiry i'm asking here to understand this. Because if the broker just see's you taking the 2nd piece w/ you at a lower rate & doesnt have a clue to why your going cheap then they assume they can ask for prices like that in the future there for hurting other drivers long term in the industry no?

So what im asking in short, does the broker know your combining pieces or is this a 1 piece load "To Them?" And only you & your dispatch know your doubling up?

Great question Tim Xpedites . Yes. Both shippers/ brokers/agents are aware.Communication is key. If I take a small load for Normal to great pay, and have time on trip, I will always ask if (A) the load will be sealed (B) If it is exclusive use and (C) If they have any others to fill the empty space and (D) Let them know that I am looking for another load to run with it. Often times, the same agent/broker will have another load to cover that will work, and at the same rate or close to normal rates. If they do not , then I will continue to look for another load that will fit going the same direction. It doesn't always work out, but I always look to maximize my trips.

Or I'm my case if I take one from pimp a and one from pimp b ? If the other finds out you could risk losing both if a customer complains

Communication is key. All parties involved need to be aware. If ALL are aware AND in agreement, then no issues will arise and ALL parties are happy.

Reactions: scottm4211

CedarMike

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
It's called LTL. Unless someone is paying a full truck load rate it's the best way to make money . If you're a Chicago 1099 carrier you just swap the door latches to keep the seal intact lol