/// Misc problems with 1999 International 4700 ///

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI All,

Had a few issues with my 1999 International with DT 466 and auto trans lately.

1) Once in a parking lot my helper was warming up the truck for seemingly a long time.

I asked him why he didn't just start driving the truck to the loading dock....he replied the truck would not move
until the engine warmed up when the engine warning light was on.

He said he flipped the parking brake off (drum brake on back of tranny...hyd brakes) put it in gear and nothing....
no increase in engine speed...no forward motion....

I was in a hurry so I didn't have a chance to look at it or try it out at the time BUT is that even possible ?

Pressing on the accelerator and no increase in engine speed and no forward motion ?

When the engine warning light is not on the truck runs fine....what could cause this?

2) More recently the truck has seemingly started cutting off by itself....

This truck runs a key switch and a separate starer button to start the truck.

The truck always starts but will sometimes cut off like the ignition switch cuts off the truck.

The ignition key is a little tight when switching it on but seems OK otherwise....pressing the start button when the key is in the start position always fires the truck up.

As a side note, just before or right at the engine shut off the engine warning light comes on.

Any ideas?...A friend of mine suggested a new key switch...

I don't think its a fuel issue since the truck runs fine until it shuts off.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
HI All,

Had a few issues with my 1999 International with DT 466 and auto trans lately.

1) Once in a parking lot my helper was warming up the truck for seemingly a long time.

I asked him why he didn't just start driving the truck to the loading dock....he replied the truck would not move
until the engine warmed up when the engine warning light was on.

He said he flipped the parking brake off (drum brake on back of tranny...hyd brakes) put it in gear and nothing....
no increase in engine speed...no forward motion....

I was in a hurry so I didn't have a chance to look at it or try it out at the time BUT is that even possible ?

Pressing on the accelerator and no increase in engine speed and no forward motion ?

When the engine warning light is not on the truck runs fine....what could cause this?

2) More recently the truck has seemingly started cutting off by itself....

This truck runs a key switch and a separate starer button to start the truck.

The truck always starts but will sometimes cut off like the ignition switch cuts off the truck.

The ignition key is a little tight when switching it on but seems OK otherwise....pressing the start button when the key is in the start position always fires the truck up.

As a side note, just before or right at the engine shut off the engine warning light comes on.

Any ideas?...A friend of mine suggested a new key switch...

I don't think its a fuel issue since the truck runs fine until it shuts off.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew
Get the codes read. The check engine light is on for a reason, and it'll give you a place to start looking.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
This era of International trucks had some pretty crappy accelerator pedal sensors, causing a CEL and occasionally stalling. If it has accelerator pedal codes, replacing this would be a good bet. However, sometimes a new accelerator did not solve the stalling problem. Contact the manufacturer, tell tech support what it's doing, and they'll give you the international part number for an updated sensor that solves this problem.

Please get the codes before lighting the fuse on the parts cannon.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI,

Thanks for the input thus far.

A mobile mechanic read the codes and it seems to point to the engine oil pressure being critically low.

Since the oil gauge read pressure good (factory gauge not a separate "good" gauge),
The mechanic swapped out the oil pressure switch and changed the ignition switch (it was hard to turn and sometimes the key would shake out so he felt that was a possible problem as well as in key switch cut off).

He tested the truck briefly and gave the truck a clean bill of health....

Unfortunately, earlier today the truck STILL acted up, stalling out on a 45 MPH 2 way road (luckily the truck always seems to restart....).

I guess he can read more codes?

Any other ideas? (the oil was not dilluted with diesel and appeared fine....I suppose maybe we need a real oil pressure test....just in case?).

Thanks

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replaced accelerator switch....hopefully that will stop the engine error codes and the drastic cut in power that comes along with the engine light....

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI,

I have not been able to get the codes from the mobile mechanic but FWIW, the accelerator switch may not have been the cure all....

the other day we started the truck and let it run a bit to warm up before driving it.

After a bit, we put it in gear , released the parking brake and as we attempted to pull off, the light came back on and the engine went to powerless....

Letting it idle a bit more, we were able to pull off without a check engine light and the light stayed off the rest of the day.

I will try getting the codes from the mobile mechanic (the ones he's already gotten) ...maybe he can pull another one from the most recent check engine light....

Thanks

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Shhh.
He told someone recently to buy this exact truck.
Maybe he was grooming a buyer.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI,

Just an update to give closure and perhaps help out others with a similar issue / issues....

Turns out the accelerator pedal assembly (with sensor) was the main issue....the sensor was installed cock eyed by the previous mechanic (he forced it to fit on apparently and it was due to the holes being striped out a bit and the mounting screws for the sensor were bent / boogered up.

Replacing with the new sensor and pedal assembly took care of the issues.

Sometimes, the truck would go into limp mode (no power basically just idle and not much more than that power wise)...Turns out the coolant was low and the engine was protecting itself with limp mode (filling the antifreeze up and the truck returned to normal ...the truck loses fluid over time so this has to be filled up to keep out of limp mode).

Anyways, thanks for all the input / help and hopefully this can help others on a similar situation.

Reactions: RoadTime