Mid-Atlantic Snow this weekend

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
They are predicting a significant snowfall from SW Virginia North through the Washington DC metro area, progressing through the NE starting Friday night. They will only say "Significant Accumulation" and believe it will turn into a Nor' Easter which could be much worse. The only amounts that I have heard are a minimum of 5" and snow for 18 hours straight. The temps have been cold enough to support immediate accumulation.

That is it from the Southern Maryland Weather Desk, be safe out there!

Scott

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Depending on the local station, they either won't commit or are stating anywhere from 8" to 2', and the most significant snowfall in 20 years. The issue is that this area has so many transients that don't know how to drive in snow. It is a rule around here that if you have a 4 wheel drive, you are impervious to anything and drive 70 mph in the worst of conditions...as they go spinning down into the median strip :)

Stay safe out there!

Scott

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Checked weatherunderground, and the forcast shows the whole midwest thru the NE getting snow. Glad we're headed home!

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Depending on the local station, they either won't commit or are stating anywhere from 8" to 2', and the most significant snowfall in 20 years. The issue is that this area has so many transients that don't know how to drive in snow. It is a rule around here that if you have a 4 wheel drive, you are impervious to anything and drive 70 mph in the worst of conditions...as they go spinning down into the median strip :)

Stay safe out there!

Scott

Since I've been doing this job for sometime now, I can say Nobody knows how to drive in that stuff. Northerns included!

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Wishing we hadn't accepted this load offer.Troy,Al 2 North Haven,Ct.After driving in heavy rain all day ,it turned 2 freezing rain in Piedmont,SC.we watched 6 cars spin out.Since we're only traveling at 30mph I decided it's time 2 park it.I wish this load weighed more than 200lbs.Tomorrow should be real fun.Local forcast say's 15-18" of snow for Roanoke,VA, 20-24" for DC 10" for New york.Only 800 miles 2 go by 1pm Sat.Hope we can go faster than 30mph tomorrow.Maybe we'll get there by Mon.Remember there's NO load so hot it won't cool of in a ditch somewhere!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I feel for ya, I am leaving tomorrow morning for Western North Carolina, got a decent weight in the back but .......18 inches of snow is 18 inches of snow.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Had a truck drop in Charlotte and picked up behind it in Lincolnton, NC. Driver said it was turning into a skating rink with cars crashing everywhere. We changed gears and headed to Atlanta and up 75 through Chat. Going west so it looked like the best option. The extra 100 miles can be quickly recovered verses the alternative up 81 and across-ed. Even more so since 40 is still closed.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I'm sitting here at my office in Rittman, Ohio and it's not snowing or there is no snow on the ground.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in newport news va we have snow on the ground
so if you are in area be careful as they don't know how to drive here only have 2 inch's

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Stuck in Staunton, Va, sigh. I knew the blizzard was coming, thought I could get through the state ahead of it [didn't know it was coming from the south!]
Trucks are just parked along the roadsides, nobody's moving. I pulled over last night bc we were going about 15-25 on 81, it was just nuts. Lost track of the cars that went inadvertently offroading, and couldn't even get INTO the Pilot.
Hope everyone's safe & warm in the winter wonderland [I'm wondering when I'll get out of here, sigh].
Dog wouldn't even go outside this morning! :eek:

ozoner

Expert Expediter
Cherie,

Here's a link that shows web cams for I-81 thru Va. You might even find your truck on one. You can move the map around and click on the blue dots to see whats ahead of you. All up & down I-81 there are random roadblocks. Good luck....

TrafficLand.com -- Staunton, VA

Ozoner

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thank you, Ozoner - that's the most helpful info I've got. At least I'll know when 81 is open again. :(