Michigan Speed limit increase

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Legisheader2.jpg

Michigan Senate will vote on legislation to increase the speed limit

There is legislation pending in the Senate Transportation Committee that could potentially increase speed limits in Michigan. AAA Michigan has concerns with any discussions of increasing speed limits however, if speed limits are going to be reconsidered, a variety of factors must be considered. These factors Include: speed studies, engineering studies, the 85th percentile speed (speed at which 85% of vehicles currently travel), current condition of the roads, and looking at the design speed and physical characteristics of the road.

We can all agree Michigan’s roads are not in the best shape and some roads may not even be capable of safely carrying people at the current speed limit let alone an increased speed. There have been discussions that would alter the proposal to only take into consideration the 85th percentile when looking to increase speed limits. AAA Michigan believes a variety of factors must be considered before raising speed limits.

If you have concerns with the potential alterations of this legislation, please contact your Senator.
http://cqrcengage.com/autoclubgroup...U1iaH3Fe8EzKPbUXdqBtQShyiA_n0P-CiG0FTQDk&lp=0
Michigan's proposed 75-80 mph speed limit would be highest in Midwest

Just found out about this today. I'm really shocked that this is even being considered in Michigan :eek:

AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxxeP-5oskr0RmNOqzmAiupBs5pflFlpH0KFt5n0uQY-c

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This has to be one of the most idiotic proposal our useless state legislature has come up with. My only hope is our just as useless Governor vetoes it if it passes.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Poor roads, higher speed limits. Shorter life expectancy for vehicles and higher fuel consumption. Sounds like one of those win/win situations for Michigan. More cars manufactured meaning more jobs and more gas sold resulting in more taxes. What's not to like?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Just got a email from Truckers Report and the speed limit increase pass. It will go from 70 to 75mph on 600 miles of freeway and 65mph for non freeway roads. For t/t from 60 to 65mph.

The reason for this is everyone is already doing it also won't be speed traps for everyone. The bill will go into effect one year if the study says it's safe.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
EVERY time I come to Michigan I see an accident. Today somebody flipped on their roof and tied up traffic...maybe people will have to slow down to drive around all the wrecks...

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason for this is everyone is already doing it

Never like when they think that way. Of course no one will exceed the higher speed limit :rolleyes:
A lot of people just assume that higher speed limits will make roadways more dangerous, because drivers will exceed whatever ceiling is in place. By the sane token, people think lower speed limits will promote safety by tamping down velocity. But in reality (confirmed by study after study- PDF) that drivers rarely overshoot their speed comfort zones, even with legal encouragement, and that the perception of hazard on freeways with high speed limits can actually boost safety by heightening drivers’ caution.

The State of Michigan, the MSP in particular, has been THE leader (along with some participation from New Jersey and a few others) in studies on the "85th percentile." The 85th percentile rule holds that 85 percent of drivers are already traveling at the most prudent and safest speed for the current conditions, and is an accepted safe speed that results in fewer accidents. For several years now New Jersey has put this to the test on the Garden State Parkway and on several stretches of the Turnpike where the posted speed limit is variable and changes in real time based in large part on the speed of the 85th percentile. The result has been fewer accidents.

The studies have shown that even if the posted speed limit is 70 MPH, if the prudent and safe speed is 52 (or whatever), that's the speed at which people will drive. The reverse is also true with a posted limit of 55 MPH and a safe and prudent speed might be 65 or 70. The reasoning of "everyone is already doing it" turns out to be sound reasoning. And regardless of the posted speed limit or of the actual speed of the 85th percentile, it's those 15 percent that will be traveling too fast (usually) or too slow for conditions (be those weather or traffic conditions).

Theoretically you could not have any posted speed limits at all (the way Montana and parts of Wyoming and North Dakota used to be) and people would still travel by the 85th percentile rule. The way to ideally do it is more or less they way Jersey is doing it, where instead of hard posted signs of hard limits, you have variable electronic signs that change with the flow of traffic and to let you know that you need to sloe down ahead due to conditions (weather, traffic, accidents, whatever). Michigan will do studies (again, because they've done the same studies many times) to determine which miles of rural Interstate can support the higher limits.

There is no question that higher rates of travel increase traffic related deaths, as most accidents at high speeds tend to be more fatal. But higher speeds don't actually increase the number of accidents. Just the opposite, actually. New York raised the speed limit from 55 to 65 in 1995 and the accident rate has dropped 4% since then. Higher speed limits in California reduced the number of accidents on those roads by 4.6%. New Jersey, Michigan, West Virginia, Tennessee and several other states have the same results. A few years ago when Michigan raised the limit to 70 they haven't experienced any uptick in accidents.

The only study that shows an increase in accidents following an increase in speed limits is the Iowa study (PDF) where their 1996 increase of the state speed limit from 55 to 65 mph concluded the speed hike caused an eye-popping dramatic jump in both traffic accidents and traffic fatalities. Iowans just can't drive fast. Although, to be fair, accidents and fatalities also increased over the same people in surrounding states that had no speed limit increase, so the speed limit increase in and of itself may or may not be the primary causational factor.

The stretch of the toll SH 130 in Texas where the limit is 85 has resulted in a lower accident and fatality rate (per miles driven) than the rest of the state. At night people tend to travel far slower than the posted 85 MPH, though, likely because the very first night the high-speed section of highway was opened there were four collisions between cars and wild hogs on the road. It's hard enough dodging bacon in the dark at 60 MPH, much less at 85.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What nobody understands is, this is Michigan!

Nothing our illustreous state government does ever makes any sense.

:confused2:

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What nobody understands is, this is Michigan!

Nothing our illustreous state government does ever makes any sense.

:confused2:
If they could only Explain to Michiganders what a YIELD sign means ... mainly along I-94 when they are on ongoing ramps and they pass you on right shoulder just to cut in front of you ...

Sent from my SM-G900M using EO Forums mobile app
And on the same token..... tell the yoyos to turn on their head lights in rainy weather.....

The worst drivers to go with the worst roads.

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks Turtle. Now I have to add hogs to my list of heart attack inducing wildlife
Despite numerous times being in a areas where you can't throw a rock without hitting one, a black bear is one of the 3 animals I still want to see in the wild. The other two are moose and wild pigs. Moose are all over the place in northern Maine where I've been several times. But not. And wild hogs are supposed to be ubiquitous all over Texas, especially out along I-10 in rural Texas. But no.

My van can't keep up with "85th percentile." :rolleyes:
That's certainly true when you're on rural Interstate in Texas, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada and Arizona. Fortunately, traffic is usually so sparse that my 62 MPH sweet spot isn't a problem.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
a black bear is one of the 3 animals I still want to see in the wild.

I had a black bear run across the road in front of me a few years back, that was pretty cool. But other then that, deer and a chupacabra is all I've seen ;)

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This has to be one of the most idiotic proposal our useless state legislature has come up with. My only hope is our just as useless Governor vetoes it if it passes.
That and the optional motorcycle helmet law.

Reactions: RoadTime

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
EVERY time I come to Michigan I see an accident. Today somebody flipped on their roof and tied up traffic...maybe people will have to slow down to drive around all the wrecks...
People want to drive too fast. And when the weather is bad they don't want to slow down.

Reactions: brokcanadian