Meritor freedomline good?

Brians

Seasoned Expediter
I just bought a International 9200I with a 10 speed Meritor Freedomline auto shift hooked to a c10 and just love it! What do other people think about the reliability of the tranny????? I sure hope it lasts because it is so sweet to drive!! Just like a big pick up. Can't beleive how smooth it shifts!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have an Arvin Meritor Freedomline 12 speed and like it. It seems that, regardless of brand, the newer the auto-shift transmission is, the less clunky and more responsive it is.

There have been a couple times when the transmission will only operate in manual mode. That happens when a sensor or wire goes bad. In such cases, the transmission is not failing but performing as it is designed to work. Otherwise, the transmission has been trouble free for close to three years now and 350,000 miles.

After we bought our truck, Volvo came out with the Volvo-made I-Shift transmission, which is said to be even smoother and quicker than the Freedomline. Being Volvo made, it is integrated with Volvo engines and other components as the truck is built from the ground up. Volvo claims fuel efficiency benefits are the result.

My dealer is after me every time I stop by to test drive a truck with the I-Shift transmission in it. I refuse each time, telling him I don't want to start liking a truck transmission better than the one we have. We plan to drive our truck for too long yet to let a case of transmission envy set in.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gee Phil, I have never heard of "transmission envy". Can it ever get bad enough to disable a driver? If so, would they then be able to get dis-ability? :rolleyes: Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, I still don't know everything I need to know about trucking so don't laugh. What is "progressive shifing"? Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Seeing that the word plagiarism is used here somewhere, here is Wikipedia's explanation;

Progressive shifting is a technique for changing gears commonly practiced by drivers of semi-trailer trucks. It is meant to reduce fuel consumption — something very important for drivers who travel several hundred miles each day.

Progressive shifting is accomplished by changing gears upward as early as possible when accelerating. After each shift is completed, the engine and transmission should be operating at or near the lowest rpm speeds recommended by the manufacturers of those parts.

When done properly, progressive shifting often results in quicker acceleration because diesel engines produce the most torque in lower rpm ranges. Additionally, this technique reduces wear on the transmission because synchronizers only need to compensate for relatively small differences in rotational speed between different components in the gearbox.

In the case of Caterpillar C15, the maximum power is developed between 1500-1950RPM. The torque is continuously declining, however the power is nearly constant.

As defined by KE =1/2 mv^2, acceleration is the process of gaining kinetic energy, so greater the power delivered, the quicker it gains kinetic energy.

The best average acceleration in a truck with a C15 engine is achieved by going all the way up to 1950RPM, then shifting to a gear that will put the engine at 1500RPM, so that the truck is receiving as close as possible to maximum power throughout the entire time it is accelerating.

Shifting at peak torque doesn't provide the maximum acceleration as even the engine maybe making the maximum torque, with each up shift, the mechanical advantage of the transmission is reduced.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thank you. Another dumb question then. Let's say I get my shift points changed on my EatonFuller 10sp Autoshift. How would that affect me when I was loaded very light or very heavy? I may not understand this as well as I should but would I not need more low end power when very heavy and the opposite for very light? Since I seldom run heavy would I be best to set the shift points for my average load and deal with the loss of perfomance at the extreme ends? I can see where this is the downside to an Autoshift or full auto transmission. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand that it improves the mileage regardless. I have driven two trucks, one with and one without and I saw a bit more acceleration with the reprogramming change.

Does anyone else had this done to their autoshift?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just so I understand, we are talking about "lowering" the shift point, I.E. a lower RPM that we are shifting at. Right now mine shifts at around 1500rpm or so. You are saying to drop that to 13 or 1400? Lower? Do I assume that a Mercedes or a "good" Freightliner would know? Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
yea something like that, putting your bottom of the shift point at or near the lowest point to move the truck. In my case, I can shift at 1500 to third and fourth, 1600 to fifth and sixth and 1650 for seven which gives me better mileage.

The service techs should have a TB on this, I know that this is becoming more common and I heard the other day at one of the dealers that they are doing this when the truck is delivered for free if the owner asks for it.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, I thought I had it right. I will look into it next time I am in the shop. Maybe someone there would know about software etc for the "Speed Limiter" thing too. If the Canada runs continue to pay what they are I would be very ill-advised to give them up. layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
speaking about Canada, are we really sure that they have speedlimiters? I have been passed by a lot of canadian trucks that were going a lot faster than 65 mph

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't think they start enforcment until July 1. Just informational warnings till then. Layoutshooter

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
We have a 12 speed auto Freedom line in our truck and we love it. We have put a little over 100,000 miles on it so far.
No more shifting them gears *lol*..just press the gas and go.