Mentors Available?

MightTry

Seasoned Expediter
Hi all, First time here. I found this site by accident and it proved to be something i had never considered. Im currently looking for employment here in Arizona and figured getting my Class A might open some doors. I chose the A because it would allow me to drive anything below also. Ive searched the forums and see references to A,B,C,D,E class trucks. Im assuming D&E are TT vehicles. Would someone be able to explain these classes? Also, I find the Expediter field interesting. Id like to start by working for someone else, but im seeing horror stories there also. Anyone interested in helping a guy get in the door so to speak, and on the right path? Thanks

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi all, First time here. I found this site by accident and it proved to be something i had never considered. Im currently looking for employment here in Arizona and figured getting my Class A might open some doors. I chose the A because it would allow me to drive anything below also. Ive searched the forums and see references to A,B,C,D,E class trucks. Im assuming D&E are TT vehicles. Would someone be able to explain these classes? Also, I find the Expediter field interesting. Id like to start by working for someone else, but im seeing horror stories there also. Anyone interested in helping a guy get in the door so to speak, and on the right path? Thanks

No horor stories on here but some of us sure like to spin up the OOPS and it works.

Some of them are like wind up spin up dolls ha ha.

Welcome to the world of Trucking and Expediting You will enjoy it. I hope. Only bad thing about it is some time U sit.

So as U are now get on here and stir the POT so to speak.

Ur headed in the right direction as Class A opens up all the doors for Yourself then U can pick what U want from there. Some will tell ya get your salt in the Tractor Trailer first then drive a straight Truck other will say the opposit U got to pick what right for you as U got to live with it. Hope this helps
E= Tractor Trailer D= 3 axel Straight Truck C= 2 Axel straight truck, then Vans are Vans or Sprinters. OK
simple as can be A=E then B= D&C HG
Welcome to the Trucking world and Enjoy.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome, MT. There are lots of folks here who enjoy helping, and the first thing you need to do is narrow your focus, to which size unit (B is a cargo van, C a class 7 straight truck, D a class 8, E a t/t), then to which carrier would be the best match for your style. To narrow your focus, you'll need to research, reading the General, Newbies, and Recruiter forums, as much as need be, to find the info you seek.
Once you've chosen a unit size & narrowed it down to a couple carriers, you can begin to ask those company recruiters more specific questions, and then, when you've chosen the carrier you think will be the best fit, you can choose a driver with that carrier, to be a mentor. There are some here, from most every carrier, willing to help, but each carrier has it's own personality, so you'll need to choose one before finding a mentor, ok?
Happy reading!

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to EO :)

Ive searched the forums and see references to A,B,C,D,E class trucks. Im assuming D&E are TT vehicles.

I'm not sure what and "A" is
"B" is a Cargo Van
"C" and "D" are straight trucks
"E" is Tractor Trailer

Yes, a Class A CDL will allow you to drive any of these vehicles, but so many companies won't allow you to drive a T/T without recent over the road experience. Also, they are more expensive to obtain because you need to go to school to drive one.

If you are really interested in the Expedite type trucking, go back and read through the forums. Most questions can be answered there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pel, an A unit is (or was) a minivan - don't think there are many of them left.
I forgot to mention talking to real, actual expediters, as part of the learning process. Wherever you can find one willing to chat, ask questions - about the carrier, life on the road, etc. Don't forget that EO sponsors seminars for newbies & wannabes, too - if you can attend, it's time well spent. The more info you collect, the clearer picture you'll get, and the easier it is to narrow your focus.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome to EO :)

I'm not sure what and "A" is
"B" is a Cargo Van
"C" and "D" are straight trucks
"E" is Tractor Trailer

Yes, a Class A CDL will allow you to drive any of these vehicles, but so many companies won't allow you to drive a T/T without recent over the road experience. Also, they are more expensive to obtain because you need to go to school to drive one.

If you are really interested in the Expedite type trucking, go back and read through the forums. Most questions can be answered there.

Be carefuel the lead driver that was on my truck 3 years ago got his Class A with a dump truck pulling a trailer and he was from Jersey. He didnt have to have a school and no he wasnt old school either he got his Class A now Virginia requries school for a class A and B sigh. but then again VA got there hand out for everything any way what do ya expect for a COMMON WEALTH any way. I might have a house there but i claim Iowa with my acerage and Farm. have a nice day.
BY THE WAY FEDEX IM BORED..

TIme to start the phone tree calling all the dispatcher on the pay phone and then option six for directions. HG LOL

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When i started,class A was anything from a car to a 3/4 ton van.B was a 1 ton van,C was a straight truck with a 12' box,D a straight truck with a 20' box and E tractor trailer.Now things have changed some,but pretty close to the same.There are no more A units,B's have moved up to and include sprinters,C's are still C's,and D's now can have 2 or 3 axles,but even though they can haul extra weight,at FECC they never receive tractor revenue.And of course the E units can haul any and everything all the others can do,they just have to do it at the lessor size rate

MightTry

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks, I went down to get a "B" lic. and figured why not go for the "A". its just one more test. Ive never driven a semi, but im qualified according to the powers that be. Only problem is, I know im NOT qualified and Im not going to put others lives in danger just because i have the classification. Thats just me. I passed my test in a day cab with a 30 ft trailer, big deal,lol. But i can see where your coming from, I'd be concerned too.
Thanks.

MightTry

Seasoned Expediter
Im probably placing this in the wrong place, but here goes. I have been unemployed for 4 mos. I felt i could still drive to at least keep the house and pay the bills. Not in AZ. For the last 15 years or so Ive been pulling supermarket/bakery/restaurant equipment and either shipping it carrier or loading it and bringing it back myself. And i thought ive got the shipping down , why not try to find local deliveries. Well, I cant survive on the 10 bucks there paying around here, so go for it. I started looking around for trucks, any truck, just a truck. Than I saw a truck that was a Tractor, Sleeper and a 24 Ft box rolled into one. Ithought "what is this and why would anyone want it". And thats when I found EO. Ive been searching this site for the last 3 days. I like driving, Dont care if im on the road all the time. Love seeing the country. I have no one to answer to except Stitch(mutt). Im 54 and forced into a career change. And I always wanted to just go. So why not go for it. At this point in my life, I really have nothing to lose. I just want to protect what I have. is that wrong?

MightTry

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for your response. I know 2 ppl that went through the Swift school because they always wanted to drive, but,well, they felt they didnt get what they were told. They drove the year (now 18mos) and quit. Nothing against Swift, But ive checked there stuff too and..... nevermind.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
...I really have nothing to lose. I just want to protect what I have. is that wrong?
I dunno if it's wrong, but it's certainly a contradiction. :D

In expediting, if you don't mind being away from home all the time, it really doesn't matter where you live.