Memorial cross park removes cross

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Atheist group wins battle to pull cross from public park after threatening lawsuit

You know I get so sick of seeing this happen. How about a Trump executive order saying, oh how about, if it was there before you were born, it can stay. Or something on those lines.

From the law suite:
"He objects to the display and maintenance of the Cross, and has had unwanted and unwelcome contact with it. (seriously?)

"Plaintiff DeFaria lives in the City of Santa Clara, and his residence is comparatively close to the Memorial Cross Park. He has gone to the park and encountered the Cross on several occasions. As a non-believer in any religion, he finds the Cross on public land objectionable. As a consequence, he avoids the public park and even goes so far as to avoid the street on which the park and Cross are located inorder to avoid the offensive encounter"

---Must be a pain trying to avoid every church and cemetery also

Now I could care less if it was a cross, the Star of David, or a statue of Buddha. It was placed there for a reason. And you might actually learn a little about your town history in the process

In this case,

In 1953, the Santa Clara Lion's Club donated the cross to Santa Clara as a way to honor the the site of the second Spanish Catholic mission established in the city in 1777.

Personally, I like looking at stuff from different religions and cultures, and find it very interesting. I certainly don't get offended by it or have "unwanted and unwelcome contact with it"

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Moot

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
As a non-believer in any religion, he finds the Cross on public land objectionable.
That's what they all say, but if that were really true, then no religious symbol would bother them in any way. The ones that are bothered by it are bothered by it because of, ironically, their own ideology. The ones who act on it are trying to supplant their own ideology onto others, mainly to feel guiltlessly self-righteous for the rest of the day. For these people, it's not enough to simply believe what you want and allow others to do the same, they must convince others to believe in the same things and in the same way.

Another example - vegans. I don't giva soybean's fury little behind that you don't eat meat, but I will allow you to eat your tofu in peace. So shut up and eat it and leave me alone.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's time to tell them, perhaps in unpleasant terms, exactly how to shut themselves up and where to go. Perhaps even in a way that could be interpreted more than one way, one of them being more than unpleasant. Not the intended way and a misinterpretation of course, but if they misinterpret that's their fault.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the law suite:
"He objects to the display and maintenance of the Cross, and has had unwanted and unwelcome contact with it.

Yet he lives in a city named after a Catholic saint! A lawsuit against the city for a name change is probably on his agenda. The unwanted and unwelcome contact part of the suit sounds more like he needs a restraining order against that cross.

Reactions: Turtle and RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With backlash that the city caved in saying they had no other options, it didn't take me long to come up with an outside the box solution to keep it.

I'm sure it would have taken a little finagling but...

Sell about a 10 ft section of the property that it stood on even for $1 to a private party with a agreement that they would be responsible to maintain said structure. No longer on public property, go cry somewhere else.

I can imagine that churches and private citizens would have been beating down the cities door to do this. If organizations will sign up to adopt a highway stretch of road and keep it clean for free, I'm sure there would have been many takers to save the cross, in memorial cross park

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Adopt a Highway... Remember when the KKK adopted a section of I-55 just south of St Louis, and then a year or so later the state of Missouri designated that very same stretch of highway as the Rosa Parks Freeway? :D

Reactions: RoadTime