Meals

G

Our favorite subject, food. Please offer your comments on meals while traveling. It appears to me that this can be a significant expense.
What do you normally do for breakfast, lunch, and supper? How much do you spend per person per day? How do you adjust your diet to maintain proper #? Is a refer and microwave a worthwhile investment? Thanks for all the info, Mike

G

I maintain health and weight by these 3 things:

1. Drink 72 oz of WATER every day

2. Take a quality vitemin supplement

3. Limit my carbos and eat lots of protien (I drink soy protien "shakes" with 0 carbohydrates).

When at the "Stops,", I prefer Subway Sanswich stuff.
Rams Fan

G

I dont have a refer or microwave, not soying they arent worthwhile, but i try to keep snacks and drinks in the truck with me and eat one "decent" meal a day, if you call some truck stop food that. I try to stop at a mall that has resturants, so as not to incure the outragous prices at truuck stops, then go to them to sleep and use phone

G

Ok, You hit my weak spot. I GORGE on the Flying J (Thads) Chili-Cheeseburger and Fries AND a LARGE chocolate Shake.

I can't pass up the following without a visit:

Dunkin-Donuts

Krispy-Creme

Tim Hortons

Potillio's - Hot Dog joint (Chicago)

I confess. I'm guilty.

THE X

G

Several months ago the X man mentioned he had a back and weight problem..HMMMM I wonder why.Seriously stay away from the truck stop food.It is expensive and loaded with empty calories and fat.We try to eat at least once a day at a Country Buffet or similar buffet location.Harvest Homes in the South are excellent.I also walk at least 3 miles every day on the road at a mall or park etc.We only live once(???) so make the best of it.However I do sneak TIM HORTONS.

G

We have also tried to conquer one of the biggest expenses on the road, FOOD! Here's what has worked for us: Plug-in cooler, case of bottles water under the bunk, butane stove and a good frying pan. While it's not always possible to cook a meal in the truck, you'd be surprised what you can whip together in a frying pan in 20 minutes. You can make a chicken black bean chili that's out of this world and requires no perishables. Also, if you need a restaurant meal, find a mall with restaurants around it and go there. You'll spend the same you would at a truck stop, but you'll be MUCH happier with the food! GOOD LUCK!

G

To get right to the point. A fridge and micro, will save you a enormous amount of money. I eat 99% of my meals,right in my truck. There are a wide variety of foods you can make right in your truck. And the stuff,is good. It is much better than what you find in truck stop. And you have the peace of mind knowing how your food was prepared. So if you want to cut your food costs, that is the way to go.