MB Dealers Buying Back 4 Cylinder Sprinters

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talked with a buddy of mine that has a 4 cylinder MB Sprinter. Out of the blue he gets a call from the MB dealership near his house. The salesman asks him if he would be interested in trading in his 4 cyl. Sprinter for a 6 cyl. My buddy is going to inquire about this. He was also telling me that his buddy who also owns a 4 cyl got a call from another dealership. Ive heard that MB is buying these 4 cylinders and reselling them due to a high demand for the 4 cylinder since MB is not going to make anymore in the future. Any other 4 cylinder Sprinter owners get this call and what was your experience (good or bad) dealing with MB.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealerships do this all the time, it's a matter of routine. Our Nissan dealership called me two weeks ago asking if we were interested in selling my wife's Altima?
The dealership wants owners to buy something newer. We own the vehicle outright, so they want to put me on a payment plan. In other cases they want to extend your debt and payments.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dealerships do this all the time, it's a matter of routine. Our Nissan dealership called me two weeks ago asking if we were interested in selling my wife's Altima?
The dealership wants owners to buy something newer. We own the vehicle outright, so they want to put me on a payment plan. In other cases they want to extend your debt and payments.
The reason was that MB was getting heavy requests for the 4 cylinder because they weren’t going to build anymore. Never have heard of this practice before.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I sold cars for 6 months.
Mainly to learn how to buy cars.

They’ll tell you ANYTHING to get you to come in.
They can’t make any money from you until they entice you to show up.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 4 cylinder Sprinter is the main engine in Europe last I checked. "Hopefully" they will add the new OM654 4 cylinder DIESEL to the North America line up in upcoming years after they see Sprinter sales dwindle... but if it's too fuel efficient which I'm sure its getting 28-30+ mpg they won't allow it simply because big corporations lose out on fuel taxes, they want more fuel burned in the US for bigger pockets! Corrupt politicians and corporations want to ride the wave until electric cars take over which will most likely be decades away.

Last edited:
Reactions: OntarioVanMan

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The 4 cylinder Sprinter is the main engine in Europe last I checked. "Hopefully" they will add the new OM654 4 cylinder DIESEL to the North America line up in upcoming years after they see Sprinter sales dwindle... but if it's too fuel efficient which I'm sure its getting 28-30+ mpg they won't allow it simply because big corporations lose out on fuel taxes, they want more fuel burned in the US for bigger pockets! Corrupt politicians and corporations want to ride the wave until electric cars take over which will most likely be decades away.

You sound like a guy that invested heavily in Tucker Motors or whatever Tucker called his company.
Fuel taxes don’t go to big corps. Fuel profits do. 30,000 fuel efficient Sprinters are going to kill the economy.
Plus what the gummint loses in fuel taxes is made up by additional body shops that keep patching those rusty things together.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
There was a 4 cylinder in the classified section for sale. It's got 32K on it I think. Its fairly new looking.

Acquisitions

Active Expediter
Recruiter
It looks like Mercedes is finely owning the problem with the EGR Valve problem...at least in Canada anyway

Attachments

• MB EGR Valve.pdf
    70.6 KB · Views: 11