MatttheCabby

MatttheCabby

Active Expediter
Interested in expediting and need some help, I have a B license but no real day to day experience, did most of my truck driving/construction jobs years ago when a chauffer license was all you needed, also had some license issues with dui's last one being 29 years ago, iam now 52 that was when i was 23, can I get hired on and will the Canadiens allow me to drive there. Would like to drive a straight truck for a fleet before I became an O/O. Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the club. You are on the right track wanting to drive for an owner to start. VERY smart move. Can't help with the rest, just don't know enough.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Usually a DUI is acceptable to a company after 10 years so you should be OK there but it will likely keep you out of Canada. I have researched going into Canada quite a bit because I used to be a real knucklehead and ended up with a criminal conviction. According to the information I found it says you wouldn't need a ministries permit after having a clean record for 10 years but that doesn't seem to apply to commercial vehicles. I have just started researching it again since our company just got our authority for Canada so I will likely be contacting some people up there and let you know what I find out.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Interested in expediting and need some help, I have a B license but no real day to day experience, did most of my truck driving/construction jobs years ago when a chauffer license was all you needed, also had some license issues with dui's last one being 29 years ago, iam now 52 that was when i was 23, can I get hired on and will the Canadiens allow me to drive there. Would like to drive a straight truck for a fleet before I became an O/O. Thanks in advance for any help

How did you get your class B and how long have you had it? The reason I ask is because some carriers want at least six months experience in the last two or three years,but if you don't have it some will accept recent road test from a school that they approve or give you a road test themselves. Even that isn't written in stone because some posters here have said that they got on with carriers that require it and they had none. If they make you get a passport for Canada that's ok too you can just refuse loads to Canada but that is bad for you so it is best to get a pardon from
Canada if you can. I don't know a lot about that either but I have heard it cost about 200.00 to apply. I have no doubt that you can get approved with somebody.

MatttheCabby

Active Expediter
Thank you for your encouraging replies, Im going to look deeper in to the Canada thing, some of us do dumb s..t as young people and then it continues to rear its ugly head for a long time

MatttheCabby

Active Expediter
runrunner I got my B license about 6 or 7 years, (just went to a private tester) when I took a job doing a route through out florida then when I learned that the guy paid what he said was Chinese Overtime, yeah never heard of that coudnt believe it it goes that instead of paying 1 1/2 times for overtime it pays 1/2 of regular time for overtime, got my first check after two weeks and seen that so I had to go.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
runrunner I got my B license about 6 or 7 years, (just went to a private tester) when I took a job doing a route through out florida then when I learned that the guy paid what he said was Chinese Overtime, yeah never heard of that coudnt believe it it goes that instead of paying 1 1/2 times for overtime it pays 1/2 of regular time for overtime, got my first check after two weeks and seen that so I had to go.

WOW, I never knew it had a name, I just though it was only the Federal Government that paid OT that way! :rolleyes::p