Mapping program

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does anybody have or know of a mapping program ie: google maps, that allows the user to input mph to calculate how long the trip should take.

My issue is getting Ragmama to believe me when i tell her google map timing should not be used when towing a travel trailer. If she sees it on the screen, she might understand.

Thanx

• Haha
Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just in case you're actually being serious...

Google map timing should never be used. It's simply a best guess, and doesn't include all the factors - traffic and weather change in real time, and if you have good internet, so does Google's estimates

There's a free app on the play store called Navigator, under settings - vehicle profiles - motorhome sounds like what you're looking for

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The generally accepted rule is to add 25%-30% to Google's time estimates.

The travel time for any given route is calculated by Google using the average speed limits along the route. So, if you always travel at the posted speed limit, the estimated travel time will be accurate.

Reactions: Grizzly

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good old MS Streets & Trips used to let you either put in a speed or let you say you were slower or faster than "average".

Why not just use the expedite rule of 45 or 50 mph? Google runs the trip at posted speed limits but will factor in traffic it sees at the moment you run the trip or...if you use the "depart at" or "arrive by" options it will give you a time range based on historical patterns.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1580942567690.png

Jacksonville FL to Los Angeles CA in 35 hrs .......
Go for it! ...... the Eastern Europeans do .....

Reactions: Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The generally accepted rule is to add 25%-30% to Google's time estimates.
I know that, and you know that, but Ragmama doesn't know that and wont believe us.

That's why i thought i could input a speed, she might believe then.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are spouses, and I won't say which one specifically, who use Google Timeline Tracking to interrogate their husb.... i mean, their spouse's whereabouts at a given time, and go batcrap crazy when his... I mean, the spouse's version of events don't coincide with Google's version of where you ere and when you were there. And even if you show her... I mean your spouse Google's own help web pages that say it's not accurate, you'll still get in trouble. So whether it's the Timeline or the Travel Time, you're wrong.

As far as Missus Ragmama, have to do a routing on Google from, like, Detroit to Petosky, and then divide the total miles by the stated hours, and see if she thinks it's realistic.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are spouses, and I won't say which one specifically, who use Google Timeline Tracking to interrogate their husb.... i mean, their spouse's whereabouts at a given time, and go batcrap crazy when his... I mean, the spouse's version of events don't coincide with Google's version of where you ere and when you were there. And even if you show her... I mean your spouse Google's own help web pages that say it's not accurate, you'll still get in trouble. So whether it's the Timeline or the Travel Time, you're wrong.

As far as Missus Ragmama, have to do a routing on Google from, like, Detroit to Petosky, and then divide the total miles by the stated hours, and see if she thinks it's realistic.
My wife says hi back, Turtle

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk