Manual Trans in Cargo Van?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
This comment had me thinking something. Are there any cargo vans w/ manual transmission? Cars get better milage w/ manual than automatic. I'd think vans would too. Just wondering why there seem to be none.

The idea of using a cargo van as the power unit for a combination vehicle seems a little unusual. Maybe if one had a manual transmission and a heavy duty upgrade. Prolonged use of the stock automatic transmission as an integral part of the drivetrain which is pulling a small trailer strikes me as problematic. Could a GM or Ford van hold up to such use at 100,000 miles per year? Maybe someone has done this. Seems unlikely. Occasional towing is more likely the manufacturer's intent.

Edit: I didn't mean it for towing, but for the everyday use that we drive our vans for.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I know that Dodge offered a stick in the 1/2 ton vans in the swb with a slant 6 and Ford also had a 3 spd in the early 60's little econoline vans...but that was years ago...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would expect now ah days that it would have to be a special order. Back in the late 70's I had 1968 E 250 with a standard shift on the column. When the linkage broke I installed a Hurst floor shift. Made it tough for anyone else to drive it. The shift handle was at the back of the drivers seat on the floor.:p

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had an Econoline van in the 80's that was manual with overdrive. It was geared so low that it would almost stall when you'd try to use the overdrive. Horrible setup.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Learn how to drive in a econoline 3 on the tree in 1976 on the farm. Grand dads.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Danny: the obvious answer is that there's not enough demand for manual transmissions - something I found when I wanted to buy a late model used car with one, sigh.
As far as fuel mileage, so much of our driving is highway, would it make any real difference?

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Danny: the obvious answer is that there's not enough demand for manual transmissions - something I found when I wanted to buy a late model used car with one, sigh.
As far as fuel mileage, so much of our driving is highway, would it make any real difference?
Cheri... my wife recently bought a Mazda Miata with a 5-speed manual transmission. Zippy little car, but I don't like driving at eye level with a kid on a tricycle.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BellVan.jpg

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
With 5 speed up to 7 speed automatic transmission available, most get better mileage than an manual
even the smaller cars are this way.
used to be the opposite was true

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
I would love to have one in my van. Since I tow a 20' trailer all the time, it would be a big help in the mountains. I am a easy driver and usually have to down-shift in the hills at the top on way down to keep my speed down. I usually drive the posted truck speed so I am a slow mover on the up and down side of the hill.

Since the manual is not a option and a swap would be costly I went and had my ecm flashed with a towing tune. The way I have it set up is when I drop it in 3rd or lower and I am above 1600 rpms my vanes on my turbo close to 90% and it builds back pressure and works like a jake brake on a big truck. This works great and it keeps me from overspeeding and using the service brakes "if I start the descend in the correct gear" on the way down the mountain.

If any of you guys have a GM diesel with VVT (variable vane turbo) look up turbo brake of turbine brake tune.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
a couple years back i posted something about finding a manual option. common consensus then is that it is an export only item. with the way the engine sits in the truck would you really want a floor shifter?

you might have better luck with a cutaway pick up body if there is such a thing for that manual trans.

goslow

Seasoned Expediter
a couple years back i posted something about finding a manual option. common consensus then is that it is an export only item. with the way the engine sits in the truck would you really want a floor shifter?

you might have better luck with a cutaway pick up body if there is such a thing for that manual trans.

Yep the big 3 each make a commercial cutaway with a pk-up cab, however they cost quite a bit more that the van cutaways. As for me I like the way the van seats are. Feels more like sitting in a chair.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Every so often you see ads for Manuel trans trucks :rolleyes: I always wonder if they are made in Mexico

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first van was a 1968 Chevy with a 3 on the tree,old Ohio bell Van, last van I had with a stick in it was a 1978 Chevy with a 4 speed on the floor.