Makes ya wonder....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He's an Army of One.

It's Brian Williams all over again.

The date on that story is March 2010. So, somebody tell Brian Williams that's it's Jordan Olson all over again.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Didn't even notice the date, just thought it funny, when so many are all "Thank a vet" lately.
I mean no disrespect to vets, but thanking them and appreciating what they represent are two different things, and random "thank you for your service" comments to unknown vets is pretty chancy, methinks. I'd rather see them thanked by greater financial appreciation from Congress.

Reactions: RLENT

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have thanked scores of service people and veterans. Any time I have the opportunity I do so and I seek out the opportunity as well. This specific guy is too far away to have been one of them but I'd have thanked him for serving. He did serve. I don't read their ribbons and patches. I don't ask for their MOS. All I need to know is that someone served. That's enough to warrant "Thank you for serving." If I ever meet this guy I will thank him as well.

Reactions: wimpy007

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Didn't even notice the date, just thought it funny, when so many are all "Thank a vet" lately.
I mean no disrespect to vets, but thanking them and appreciating what they represent are two different things, and random "thank you for your service" comments to unknown vets is pretty chancy, methinks. I'd rather see them thanked by greater financial appreciation from Congress.
I thanked a guy dressed in his fatigues once. His response was that he is tired of total strangers thanking him.

Reactions: cheri1122 and RLENT

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
wow...that's unexpected.

Like Rags alluded, not really. Thanking a vet is the trendy thing to do, the easy way to feel you're being all flag waving patriotic, and can pat yourself on the back for it.
My idea of patriotism is trying to make this country a better place for those who follow, in whatever way you can. If I thank a vet, [and I have], it's one I know personally, and believe he/she is trying to improve the US, not just themselves. The very idea of saying thank you to random strangers just strikes me as odd, is all. If I did it, I'd thank nurses, and teachers, firefighters, and caregivers for special needs kids - they're my heroes. [And some writers, too, lol]

Reactions: Ragman