4-Wheeling Major Major Repairs : 4-Wheeling

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
If nothing else, Sprinter ownership has taught me how to rationalize my decisions.

I just dumped thousands of dollars into the van, and now it wants more. Final verdict – engine replacement. Dump the thing or try to keep going? Piper One said, “So... likely 30K into the van this year...” Me: “less than that, but that’s the right idea.” But I’m not ready to fold yet, and here’s what Sprinter Rationalization looks like.

READ MORE...

Reactions: vandriver2

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Major Major? Maybe Milo Minderbinder can get you a deal on a new engine from the Syndicate.

fenderbender

Rookie Expediter
There's something to be said for sticking with the devil you know. Lol
My old 2004 had a great rust free body when I got rid of it for a new 2013. If I had it to do over, I would put a new motor and tranny in it instead. Hindsight ya' know. We all know the "Sprinter rationalization" you speak of! Good luck with whatever you decide!

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
EB...so you get the factory rebuild with the 100K warranty?....

Yep, that's the one. I'm opting to also do the catalytic converter and dpf, since I been burning so much oil through them. I sort of wish it had been a catastrophic failure, like a broken oil pump; I probably would have done this earlier.

Yes, this is the devil I know.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, that's the one. I'm opting to also do the catalytic converter and dpf, since I been burning so much oil through them. I sort of wish it had been a catastrophic failure, like a broken oil pump; I probably would have done this earlier.

Yes, this is the devil I know.

eb

IMO..I think that was a smart move....costly upfront but will pay off down the road..well thats the plan anyway! Sprinter may have a different idea.....LOL

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IMO..I think that was a smart move....costly upfront but will pay off down the road..well thats the plan anyway! Sprinter may have a different idea.....LOL

Speaking of Sprinters...I have a friend who has a 2008 and he was told his van rearend is going out ....he has already checked with you guy's Wayne in Toledo...he has 3 but all are wrong size....any ideas...?? ... he has 570,000 miles on his 2008 and was hoping to get another 150,000 miles on it...thanks

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of Sprinters...I have a friend who has a 2008 and he was told his van rearend is going out ....he has already checked with you guy's Wayne in Toledo...he has 3 but all are wrong size....any ideas...?? ... he has 570,000 miles on his 2008 and was hoping to get another 150,000 miles on it...thanks
Is he positive its the rear end ? or just a rear hanger bearing?

well not much other choice but new rear end in....see if Rockauto.com or europarts has a build kit...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is he positive its the rear end ? or just a rear hanger bearing?

well not much other choice but new rear end in....see if Rockauto.com or europarts has a build kit...

Yeah...he was at Waynes and no one seems to have know how on rebuilding rearend...I'll check on ratio..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Someone told me the rear end is one unit inside you can't buy individual parts for it. Does that makes sense I'm not the most mechanical person.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Fortunately proper planning allows for you to make it through this. How many people would be stuck racing around trying to gather up $2k for a down payment?

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking for myself...if my 2011 Sprinter and I were in your Shoes, (Buy New or Replace Parts/Engine) I think I'd stick with her and replace my Engine etc..
300K+ on mine and today CEL Error Code says my NOx Sensor is faulty.
Just replaced the Oxygen Sensor due to a CEL Error Code and now the NOx.
New Transmission Fluid and Gaskets, Fuel Filter.
Anyone else had their Front NOx Sensor go bad on them?
Apparently the aft NOx is fine.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wayne and his wife told me the other day they have a Sprinter owner they service with 800K on same Engine/DPF/Transmission.