MagicJack.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hello everyone I just wanted to let you know that I ordered my MJ last week and have been trying It and It has been working great so far.Then I was thinking If your like me this would be great to have on the road and never pay for phone calls again WOW.You can talk free non stop and never pay Long Distance or local calls again.All you need Is a laptop with high speed Internet and a USB port and your off making calls In U.S.A. and Canada FREE.Sorry everyone If this has been posted before but I searched and didn't see where or when so I would tell you about It.Here Is the link to check It out.

MagicJack: magicJack - Free Local and Long Distance Calls - Official magicJack Website

Last edited:

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
impressive...how would you answer calls over the road..do you need a new phone number??since you could use a regular house phone

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Kw no not yet but I have 2 friends that us MJ on the road with any Internet hook up and at almost all motels/hotels with no problems.Thats why I got mine and I plan to soon...If you need help or want to know anything else PM me...

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Hello everyone I just wanted to let you know that I ordered my MJ last week and have been trying It and It has been working great so far.Then I was thinking If your like me this would be great to have on the road and never pay for phone calls again WOW.You can talk free non stop and never pay Long Distance or local calls again.All you need Is a laptop with high speed Internet and a USB port and your off making calls In U.S.A. and Canada FREE.Sorry everyone If this has been posted before but I searched and didn't see where or when so I would tell you about It.Here Is the link to check It out.

MagicJack: magicJack - Free Local and Long Distance Calls - Official magicJack Website

Interesting, thanks! Looks like it is even available to Canadians! What I'm wondering is..
Say a person decides to do away with their home phone service and just use this MJ thing.. what if the following were to occur?:
i)if the computer were turned off, or not around.. what happens to the phone calls people might be attempting to make.. or is this only for 'outgoing' calls? I really didn't see a mention about incoming calls? I see it has 'voicemail', which I assume is only for incoming calls.. I can't load the FAQ or any of the info links on the website.. so say I had my laptop somewhere else and didn't want MJ with me.. so MJ is unplugged sitting on a table somewhere.. and someone tries to call.. what happens to that call? (like a normal phone, even when unplugged, will still get a voicemail)
ii)are you able to choose a phone number, or is it designated to you?
iii)I guess if your internet connection is poor, the call won't work, right? So it may not be that dependable on the road? Or does someone know about a portable internet service that's more reliable than the one I have?
Thanks!

tec1959

Expert Expediter
pjjjjj hi well you need to have it plugged in to computer and on,But if you unplug it or turn compter off for a while it will still take voice mail messages.If there's not a number and area code near the area you want no problem just google grand central and they now have free service to transfer or portal all your phones to one number.I live in Jax,Fl and the the area code is 904,But no 904 area codes yet so i went to grand central got a 904 area code and a Jax,Fl number free and i setup for MJ and my cell to ring when ever i want them to.This is a new service and alot of new things are coming so I've been told,And yes It has some bugs but I;ve not any problems yet and I had it a week now.2 friends use it on the road with wifi service and they love no problems yet,It works at hotels/motels or where wifi is on...PM me if you need anymore info...1 friend said he is going to cut his cell phone bill down from $100 a month to the cheapest plan sprint has after he see's if it works good after a month or two.He said it should save him $700-$800 a year or more...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Magic Jack has a Privacy Policy, and it should be read, and understood, very carefully.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I ordered MJ, just installed it now.. but too late to call anyone to see if it works!
Anyway, thought I'd report for the Canadian contingent..
MagicJack doesn't have many 'area codes' to choose from.. which is why someone above suggested going to 'grand central' to get one..
MagicJack doesn't have ANY Canadian area codes, and further, grand central is only for USA.
Therefore, I had to choose an American phone number to be my phone number, and therefore, anyone local to me, who wants to call me, must dial long distance to the states!
But.. that's ok with me! Most people I know have a plan where they can call anywhere in North America for the same price, anyway. Just a couple of people that I care to get calls from, that this won't work for.
Another problem for Canadians, is that the '911' service is not applicable to Canadian addresses.
IF this thing works, I plan on doing away with my 'home phone' and just using MJ and cellphone. Do you know I must've got about 20 unwanted calls during the day on Thursday? Mostly telemarketers and such. I can't WAIT to get rid of my land line!
I think MagicJack will only get bigger and better, and one of these days it'll have more to offer Canadians.
In the meantime, hopefully when I make my first call and receive my first call tomorrow morning, I'll still be happy with it!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
In the meantime, hopefully when I make my first call and receive my first call tomorrow morning, I'll still be happy with it!

Well, it works.
Goodbye Bell Canada.
Goodbye $70month charges.
Goodbye people trying to sell ADD insurance, increased-credit-limit credit cards, lawn care packages, new windows, book club memberships, donations to various causes, people doing surveys, time-sharing outfits, frozen meat orders, new furnaces, etc.
Now, has anyone tried it out in their vehicle yet?