Magellan GPS

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Recently in an EO article about new driver Broompilot (Kraig Allen), he talked about how valuable he found his Magellan GPS unit. Looks to me like a Roadmate 700 if I'm guesssing correctly. While I like the idea of a standalone GPS, I don't see anything in the literature so far about truck use. Does its routing software understand the limitations that apply to commercial drivers sometimes? I'd hate to be depending on it for guidance and find myself staring at (or worse, stuck under) a low clearance with no option but to retrace a long drive. I had been considering using Co-Pilot Truck in a laptop for my GPS, but was also wondering how it works if you want to use the laptop as a computer at the same time your partner is depending on it for driving instructions.

BTW, we've got our letter of intent from FedEx CC for White Glove, and are currently scheduled to go to orientation in mid January. Now if the truck financing will just come through; I'm about to run out of nails to chew....

Thanks for any input.

Doug in Florida

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
As far as the truck limitations go with GPS programs, you are correct you still need to observe low clearance restrictions. I'm sure you plan your trip with bridge heights in mind. NYC and Chicago are the prime examples of using all the resouces at hand. I've always relied on the height limits in my Rand Mcnally map. I used the Magellan unit 4 years ago and loved it! There may be better programs out today that I'm not aware of. Contact them direct and inquire about your concerns. Good luck and congratulations on your exceptance to White Glove!

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I JUST SENT MY DELORME 2005 TO COPILOT, THEY ARE EXCHANGING IT FOR THERE SOFTWARE FOR 99.00...THERE SOFTWARE IS FOR TRUCKS...COPILOT TRUCK. SHOWS ALL RESTRICTIONS,CLEARANCES,TOLLS,,,SUPPOSEDLY TAKES YOU TO THE ADDRESS ,EVEN TELLS YOU WHAT SIDE OF STREET, ILL LET YOU ALL KNOW...FRANK}>