Made in USA Sprinters

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good news. Could help with pricing too.
I think it might speed up delivery maybe but price? They are going to lose a 23% tariff reduction by building them here.... :)
Thry may have s deal with Uncle Sam to keep that deal?

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
From that same article...."The move ends a workaround designed to avoid a 25 percent U.S. tariff on light-truck imports, writes Bloomberg."

If one doesn't run out and buy the model year and waits Sprinters can be had a lot cheaper at end of year....like any other maker...yes and toys make a huge difference...the bells and whistles...

maybe some year they will try an NA version in gas AGAIN...there is a market for them...

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
From what I read hear and there, the process of dis-assembling the Sprinters in Holland and re-assembling them in South Carolina adds about 7% to the price of the Sprinter. If they build them here they can either sell them at 7% less and be more competitive with the other vans, or sell them at the same price and make 7% more on each sprinter. I bet they will sell them for about 3-4% less than they do now, since they have to get their investment of 500 mil back.

ishipforexcellence

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
From that same article...."The move ends a workaround designed to avoid a 25 percent U.S. tariff on light-truck imports, writes Bloomberg."

If one doesn't run out and buy the model year and waits Sprinters can be had a lot cheaper at end of year....like any other maker...yes and toys make a huge difference...the bells and whistles...

maybe some year they will try an NA version in gas AGAIN...there is a market for them...

They currently don't have a gas option?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty sure they made a gasser in 07.

they have them but not here....not YET.....the Pro and Transit might change that thinking....
For engine choices, the Sprinter is currently offered with inline four and V-6 cylinder diesel engines; V-6 cylinder petrol/gasoline; or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) engines in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. In North America, only the six cylinder 3.0 litre turbodiesel and six cylinder 3.5 litre gasoline engines are offered. In Brazil, between 1998 to 2002, are used a Maxion/Rover HSD Diesel engine, with 2,5Lt. The versions are 310D with 95PS (Turbo Diesel) and 312D, with 115PS (Turbo Diesel Intercooler).
An electric hybrid version has been tested, but is not currently officially part of the Sprinter range.[SUP][31][/SUP][SUP][32][/SUP][SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP]

quote is from Wiki....I've personally never heard of the one in bold

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dodge's full-size passenger and cargo vans return for 2007 completely redesigned. The Sprinter is now offered in several new variations, including 144-inch or 170-inch wheelbases models, regular or extended vehicle lengths, and three ceiling heights. Dodge also offers two new engine options to power the Sprinter, the 154-hp 3.0L V6 diesel engine or the 3.5L V6 gas engine, which produces 254 horsepower.

I remember meeting a lady that was driving the gas version.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dodge's full-size passenger and cargo vans return for 2007 completely redesigned. The Sprinter is now offered in several new variations, including 144-inch or 170-inch wheelbases models, regular or extended vehicle lengths, and three ceiling heights. Dodge also offers two new engine options to power the Sprinter, the 154-hp 3.0L V6 diesel engine or the 3.5L V6 gas engine, which produces 254 horsepower.

I remember meeting a lady that was driving the gas version.

I know of 2 of them leased on at Bolt.....2007's...both mid-roof 144 in...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The gasser in that review had a 4.72 rear end. That's insane. But that 3.5 mb gasser is a dog. And that's the problem. As nice an idea as putting in a gas engine is killed by them having cut ties with Chrysler. A Sprinter with the v6 pentastar would have been intriguing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The gasser in that review had a 4.72 rear end. That's insane. But that 3.5 mb gasser is a dog. And that's the problem. As nice an idea as putting in a gas engine is killed by them having cut ties with Chrysler. A Sprinter with the v6 pentastar would have been intriguing.

depending on how much Pro and Transit sales hurts them here in NA...I am thinking a gasser might be an option in the future