MAC - Windows

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sure glad we kept our Windows based computer since very little of Landstar's applications are compatible with a MAC.

On our Christmas list is getting a small windows based tablet that will be easier to use then getting out the big clunky windows machine.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even on a PC, Internet Explorer is more functional than Chrome. At least that has been my experience.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
What ever you get, it needs to be Java capable. Not just script. I use a little acer laptop. Can plug in scanner and printer and access all of LS websites. Bought it at Office Depot a couple of years ago. Under $250 on sale. No problems and works great.

jhead64

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was told that they are working on Transflo Mobile for Express. This was about 4 months ago.

My name is on a list to be contacted when it's available. Haven't heard anything yet.

I was told it will cost $2 per load rather than the $1 for direct scan but it would be worth it to me to be able to use my phone for all paperwork.

I have the small laptop and a small neat receipt scanner but I still hate getting them out. The phone is so much easier!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
This is what we are looking at getting:

[h=1]Microsoft - Surface 2 - 32GB - Magnesium[/h]

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
This is what we are looking at getting:

[h=1]Microsoft - Surface 2 - 32GB - Magnesium[/h]

Haven't found a tablet yet that does Java. Maybe this one will. The best way to test it is find one on display with Internet connection and go the Express America web site. Log in and then check for outbound loads by area.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Java is a really big program. That's why tablets don't usually have it. It takes a hard drive to handle it.
On the other hand, I'm no computer wizard. Just going by what IT told me when I was asking about my Ipad. That's why I bought the little laptop. At that time, no tablets were available with java. Only Javascript, which is not the same and won't work.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
So our daughter picked up the new computer and we ended up with a Lenovo Yoga 2

but now learning that the Landstar website is not compatible with Windows 8?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So our daughter picked up the new computer and we ended up with a Lenovo Yoga 2

but now learning that the Landstar website is not compatible with Windows 8?
I use windows 8.1 without any issues. For functionality reasons Internet Explorer works better than Chrome, but you can use either browser. Some functions just will not work with Chrome.
I use an HP with windows 8.1 and I have used windows 7 as well, so I would guess windows 8 would work.