Cargo Van Lost route...need advice on van

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ready to replace my 2003 Dodge Ram Van 3500 :) I've been spoiled paying 0.94 cents a gallon for CNG, but without going thru Buffalo every day I'm not saving anything at prices between 1.50 and 3.20 for natural gas.

Carrier has no year rules on vans so I've been picking up CNG vans with less than 80,000 miles for under $2000 and do ALL my own mechanical work.

Not interested in anything new...I was about to pull the trigger on a T1N Sprinter (just over 100000 miles, clean but they're asking $15000) I remember all to well paying over 100 dollars for 500 miles in my diesel E350 and OPEC just announced they will cut production.

Anyone with a bubble van (gas) or CW cutaway could you please post your actual MPG? I'm planning on converting to propane since I run a lot of Canadian miles...i'll keep the CNG tanks in case gas goes back to 4 dollar range but with dual fuel I can just use gasoline in states.

I typically drive 60-70 mph max and carry low weights but carrier needs at least 10 ft box an over 48" opening for freight.

I need to know real world highway MPG for expediters who drive for MPG not the stuff I find on the internet...

Thanks, and please post anything including why I am crazy to go with the van that gets 12 MPG in town over a Sprinter (propane here is around $1 a gallon so 12 MPG roughly same cost as 24 MPG diesel)

Reactions: neilblack

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok no responses, so while searching I found the "sprinter wannabe" thread with some good info...I'm the type to fix stuff at the side of the road rather than wait for a tow or mechanic to have time for me, so "sprinter wannabe" is what I'll be.

What I need to know: Ford or Chevy bubble van, and Aerocell CW, or even Cargomaxx:

MPG while deadheading empty (60 mph range)

I average 15 now and can make it work, thanks to any SRW box truck drivers that could reply...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know I'm the only weirdo. Cleaned up, I'm asking what the best type of gas large single rear wheel van is and what I can expect while deadheading for mpg...looking at a 2010 Ford Aerocell but 4.59 gear ratio scares me...

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I know I'm the only weirdo. Cleaned up, I'm asking what the best type of gas large single rear wheel van is and what I can expect while deadheading for mpg...looking at a 2010 Ford Aerocell but 4.59 gear ratio scares me...
Ah, got ya.

Sorry, can't help ya, I drive a straight truck.

Maybe a vanner will chime in.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
looking at a 2010 Ford Aerocell but 4.59 gear ratio scares me...
And well it should. I thought 4.10 rearend was the lowest gear ratio in these and the 4.10 is scary when mated with a 4 speed OD. If you have the money a Unicell CW with a 6 speed could get an average of 17 mpg on the highway if driven with a modicum of restraint.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
17 would be nice! Thanks, this is exactly what I need to know. Right now I'm practicing my restraint, i'm stuck in a natural gas van with very few options to refuel...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait, you don't mean the Transit based, do you? I have no idea how you guys with big payments do it, tried that 10 years ago, drove a million miles on that van to make it worth it...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2010 E350 single rear wheel...vin translates to 5.4 gas, 4 speed auto with 4.59 gears...anyone know highway MPG?

Attachments

• 2010 Ford E350 SRW.jpg
    2010 Ford E350 SRW.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 35

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Same as e350, but brochure states up to 700 lb lighter with fibreglass box...it's on standard 138" wheelbase

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:) For why? The whole attraction of under 10000 is thumbing my nose at the scales on the way by...think DOT would assume it looks like a box van and I need to scale?
Even if a gas van came to 6000 lbs it would leave me plenty to play with at the 9600 gvw...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
BTW thanks for responses, I had a regular run for 9 years and I'm totally out of the loop for expediting...trying to build out a cheaper Sprinter size to match carriers requirements...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good point. Just want something big enough I don't have to turn down a load after driving hours to pick it up...more worried about expenses, I know nothing about the single rear wheel cubes...anything over 2500 seems to go to the straights at my carrier...

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Yes, a truck stop scale will tell you how much it weights and you need this so you can subtract from the gvrw on the driver side door. It will save you a ticket in the long run should you be pulled over and you know your not over weight.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good advice, now that you mention it, in the last few years I've seen a lot of pulled over cubes, and pickup/trailers...felt immune to it in the normal cargo van

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How about anyone with a 5.4 ford in the standard cargo? I was on the Ford trucks website and found a lot of reports of 13 mpg hwy ouch!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wait, you don't mean the Transit based, do you?
No I was referring to the Unicell CW on a GM 3500 or Ford F 350 chassis.
I have no idea how you guys with big payments do it, tried that 10 years ago, drove a million miles on that van to make it worth it...
One way to eliminate big payments is to put make a large down payment. Another way to eliminate big payments, completely eliminate them, is to pay cash. The best way to afford a large down payment or a full cash purchase is to reduce your operating costs and save as much as you can while putting those million miles on your current ride.

Reactions: brokcanadian