Looking to step out on my own in a Cargo Van

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
Hello........ Im looking to branch out on my own in a Cargo Van an looking to hear some solid advice financially as far as insurance an etc .......... an what would it take to put my own van on the road with a broker. Thanks God Bless.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Can you define what you mean by broker? Somehow I don't think that word means what you think it does.

A broker? If you're on your own, you might want to consider working with several, everyone you can find. I also assume that if you're talking about working with brokers that you intend to get your authority. I'm not sure I can give any advice without knowing how it is that you're thinking of operating, whether leased on to a carrier or with your authority.

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
Im sorry for not being more descriptive. Being out here on the road I here several guys have their own authority an have at least 2 brokers finding them loads. Yes I would appreciate knowing how to get my own authority an how do I go about finding good brokers.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I just wanted to clarify. I see people on here and other places talking about using a couple brokers and what they're wanting to do is hook up with more than one carrier and then call those brokers.

The truth is that you're not going to run worth a darn just using a couple brokers. You need to set up as a partner with darn near every expedite carrier out there that brokers out their excess freight. That will give you a few loads to put some money in your pocket while you try to increase your base of customers. You won't be able to get on Sylectus with just the one unit, but that doesn't stop you from contacting all the larger companies and getting set up as a partner to run what they broker out.

Getting the authority is the easy part. Don't pay those people who charge you money to do it for you. That's just a rip off. Go to the FMCSA's web site and you can apply on there. You can also call and get (eventually) a human being on the phone who will walk you through the process. That will cost you $300. The insurance is simple enough. Go with a company who knows what they're talking about as far as expediter insurance. I would suggest CIS (used to be with them) or Brands Insurance.(currently with them) Go for the million liability 100k cargo and you should be good.