//// Looking to go big time - Info on Drivers ////

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi All,

Relatively new to the OTR game ( up to now mostly all local with the occasional overnight stay in a car due to an occasional long car courier run....But we did start 1 OTR straight truck this past last Monday) but in optimistic anticipation of getting big doing OTR freight ( non CDL trucks / no sleepers (greater pool of potential drivers although potentially not as qualified / non sleeper non cdl trucks are easy to find and rent / lease) doing regional runs (home more often than being hard core OTR and being out for weeks at a time)....

I have a few questions concerning getting / hiring / keeping drivers

1) As far as driving records go...How bad is too bad ?

2) I know generally insurance likes older drivers (at least over 25 for cheaper rates) but how old is too old ?
(only reason I mention age is because , at the advice of one of my good drivers , I hired his grandfather
(long term CDL A big rig driver) and he put a gasoline hose into the straight truck's diesel fuel tank ...I
caught him before he started pumping but what a potential disaster ....Was this an accident / oversight
because the straight truck felt like a sportsCAR compared to a TT or just a senior moment?

3) Where are the best places to find / hire drivers ? (I know I could try here too !)

4) In terms of driver pay....what is the fair way to pay drivers and how much to pay ?

5) Any other ideas concerning finding / getting and keeping drivers ?

6) Anything you as a driver would look for in a company hiring you as a driver ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and looking forward to putting the big boys out of business because we're taking over ! ;-)

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Be sure your guys over 10,001 lbs have current medical cards.

Your insurance agent I would think would be a good source for how bad is too bad .

Pay should be similar to what others in your area pay.

I wouldn’t expect to find guys that would sleep in that equipment.
If they do in an emergency, flip them $40.

I wouldn’t think too much about confusing the gas/diesel. Pretty easy to do as diesels drive more car like in your segment. They’ll be other signs if he’s losing it.

I’d be sure they understand the alcohol policy at your company.

Anyone can rent/lease trucks.
It’s easy to get freight nowadays.
The challenge is finding/hiring/keeping good drivers.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I must commend you Stick, you have the patience, understanding and compassion to answer any post that gets thrown up here.

Andy,
I think you need some more experience before getting into empire building.

Reactions: VSprinter

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
He’s optimistic, seems to be able to roll with the punches.
And he yearns for our knowledge.
It’s easy to get the poking stick out for him.
In a way I’m rooting for him.....but don’t want to give him false hope.
I’m not going to invest in his business model.

Early on, I thought he was just nuts.
Now
I’m wondering if he’s nuts enough to surprise most of us.

Last edited: