Looking to break away from company and become Owner/Operator.

Mchris01

New Recruit
Driver
The company I've been working for the past 2.5 years is cool, but it's a small company and I only average about 1800 miles per week as a company driver. I was speaking with a recruiter from load 1. He says I need a high-roof with at least 12 feet of cargo space and a bulkhead. Is that industry standard? I'm considering load 1 because of the insurance program. Also, is it possible I can get a good starter van for around 20K?

Thanks in Advance.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The company I've been working for the past 2.5 years is cool, but it's a small company and I only average about 1800 miles per week as a company driver. I was speaking with a recruiter from load 1. He says I need a high-roof with at least 12 feet of cargo space and a bulkhead. Is that industry standard? I'm considering load 1 because of the insurance program. Also, is it possible I can get a good starter van for around 20K?

Thanks in Advance.
Most commercial Vans are driven a lot. You can look at repossessed commercial Vans through auctions but there's no guarantee how they were maintenanced or driven

That being said you're going to want anywhere from 10 to 15 grand in the bank after a van purchase/finance, as well as outfitting it, if you want to be successful.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right now the prices of used vehicles are insane, its about the worst time to buy something. If you are getting 1800 miles per week as a company driver, you are doing better than most.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Before I ordered my van I priced used ones, they were almost as much as a new one (in some cases more) with half of their life gone and with alot less of the newer safety features. Personally I avoid used equipment because it's impossible to tell exactly what your getting. Yes, new vehicles can have issues too, but, the also have warranty.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cheaper to get repairs on vs. Mercedes sprinter.....and the promaster doesn't have enough room.
Why do you say that the promaster doesn't have enough room?
Or do mean not enough room for a bed in addition to 12ft of cargo space?

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Heh! Ya, I was just searching past promaster threads and another one of your posts came up saying the same so I was just going to say nevermind, I get where you're coming from however I've been looking at the promaster as potentially having the cheapest costs of ownership overall of the long and talls (as long as you don't try and beat on the promaster like an old chevy van). I love how easy it is to change the oil in those 3.6's especially if you get a futomo valve installed. Not so easy to change a headlight though from what I've seen but overall if you look after them they should last quite a while now that they have fixed the valve lubrication issues that were prevalant in the first series of pentastar engines.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
As long as you keep the maintenance up on it should run fine. It's just the ford transit has more room for freight and a bed.
And watch that weight limit because that's the holy bible for the police.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why do you say that the promaster doesn't have enough room?
Or do mean not enough room for a bed in addition to 12ft of cargo space?
Most companies want you to be able to haul three pallets. Which the ProMaster has 144 in of cargo space to do so. Problem is you will have to be able to pack up everything including your sleeping area to be able to haul such freight. It sucks sleeping in your front seat overnight for a delivery.. it sucks even more whenever you have to sit on a load for the weekend when you don't have a place to lay down.

That being said ProMaster is a horrible choice as you will be replacing a motor about every 100,000 miles. As well as other issues that will derive from it.

I own a ProMaster and I can tell you I've spent quite a bit of money keeping that thing on the road.

AMC

New Recruit
Driver
Why a Ford transit... just curious?

Ford stopped making diesel Transits so you would have to get gas which is much lower mpg. Your choice if you want the lower upfront cost or the lower on-going fuel costs.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Personally I don't think gas motor is durable enough in the long haul. Yes, up front money and repair cost on a Diesel motor is greater, but, I think tha cost is out weighed by the overall endurance & Longevity Of diesel versus gas. 100000 miles versus 400000 miles..... Just Say'n

Reactions: RoadTime

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Personally I don't think gas motor is durable enough in the long haul. Yes, up front money and repair cost on a Diesel motor is greater, but, I think tha cost is out weighed by the overall endurance & Longevity Of diesel versus gas. 100000 miles versus 400000 miles..... Just Say'n

If the government was to off set the weight of the diesel epa junk to equal the same as gas engines then and only then would it be good....you can still replace a gas engine cheaper than a diesel engine...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

400,000 is just getting broke in
Many achieve the million mile mark. My last one had 650,000 on it. The body gave out before the engine

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Grumpy Grandpa

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Manufacturer says 400k, but your right, if it's taken care of and treated right then it could last indefinitely!

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Government should stay out of it; along with a lot of other things that they don't belong in. However, this is the wrong place to get into that.....

Reactions: Jason2

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator

How can a gas engine not be durable enough? Gas engines lasting only 100,000 miles is a myth. Todays gas engines last just as long as a diesel engine. My previous Ford 5.4 gas engine (a 2 valve engine), had 575,000 miles on it when i replaced it, and it ran beautifully when I pulled it out.

Reactions: Turtle