Cargo Van Looking to become a fleet owner

Dubs

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey everyone, I want to thank anyone ahead of time that can put in the time to answer a few questions.

First of all what would be the terminonlogy for signing on with multiple carriers vs. just one company and #2, I see a lot of bigger companies with their logo's on the side. How would a guy like me get my drivers signed on with them or is this even allowed?

Any links or any helpful information would be great. I'm just trying to find a way that will point me in the right direction.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dubs, Many, if not most, of the members here are professional truck drivers who own their own businesses. Even a driver for an owner has a business for which a schedule C must be filed with their tax returns in order to take advantage of the many business related deductions. We each share a fair amount of disdain for an expediter aspirant who know little or nothing about this business and expect answers that could be found with a bit of research outside of this arena. I'll give some food for thought for you or any eavesdroppers that may wish to start out as a fleet owner without leaning the driver/owner responsibilities to the motor carriers, shipper, receivers, and the local, State and federal governments that regulate the various aspects of the freight transportation industry:

I suspect that you want to purchase a cargo van and either drive it yourself or hire a driver(s) and eventually add more vans to your fleet until you have enough vans to kick back and rake in the money. Well, the heyday of expediting was the early 90's to shortly after the turn of the century. Nowadays, a sarcastic term often heard is "You can get a small fortune in expediting; just start with a large fortune." Without knowing anything about you, your financial situation or your trucking business acumen, here are a few suggestions:
Get a Commercial Drivers License; preferably though a CDL training facility.
Lease on with one of the carriers advertised on home page and driver for a few months and learn the business.
Talk with as many drivers as you can learn how to outfit a truck, Get as many tips as possible. You'll find many drivers that are willing to share their knowledge.
Develop a business plan. You'll find plenty of "how to do its" through Google
Obtain a line of credit that will satisfy your Business Plan
Don't just read but research these forums and learn the pro and con of serving multiple carriers.

These comments are meant to be a bit of info to start with. Good like with your choices.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know the answers. I really don't think a step by step explanation would help you, without following through on the previous advice given here.

Really want a crash course? Pick up a van or 5 ton for you, start calling for freight offers, and begin the process of solving the huge pile of "but why not?" answers you get when you are told no. Just don't learn on your "drivers" only please. Not only is it slower, its cruel