Looking to add a 36 inch used sleeper on my straight truck

kamilski

Active Expediter
I messed up my box on freightliner m2 business class. It was cheaper for me to shorten it so I did just that.
Looking to put a 36' sleeper on it but have been out of luck looking for a cheap used one. I don't need it to be in great condition. Rather re finish it all myself. The cheaper the better.
I'm in Chicago and the closest sleepers I've found were in Baldwin MI which is quite a drive. Anyone has any idea where in Chicago area or IN-WI i could look for a used 36 inch sleeper???
Also does any of you know if those "box" sleepers are just U Bolted to the frame or is there something else involved??

I really appreaciate all your help

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Big truck dismantler at 106th and Torrance( Torrence ?) so side of chgo. Adlemans or something. Also try R&J in Frt Wayne,In. Google Used Sleepers

kamilski

Active Expediter
Thank you. I'll call these places up and see what happens
I really appreciate all the help I can get. I don't want to travel 300 miles for it.
Do you or anyone here knows it I can use my truck now with the shortened box since there's like 40+ inches between the cab and box? Not sure if its going to be doable wind resistance wise and DOT wise.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No dot problem because of the gap. Wind resistance will hurt fuel mileage but wouldn't be a deal breaker. Look at orange Landstar Truck for sale in classifieds. Has big gap to put reefer behind condo.

kamilski

Active Expediter
So I been looking and looking and nothing so far. I've actually just picked up my truck today. Due to the way the truck box was originally "customed" I am left with a 50.5 inch gap between the cab and box. Now I'm thinking maybe a 42inch or a 48inch would also fit onto the truck. Do any of you know if a 48 is actually 48 inches or outside it's like 55?

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Check star class in pa around beaver falls I bought used one there a few years ago was cheap and in good condition

kamilski

Active Expediter
To be honest I don't want to travel that far. I'm from Chicago and trying to find something as close as possible. Thank you tho

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There's a website, usedsleepers.com , or similiar. Fyda in Columbus, Oh has a Frtlnr M2 with a 44 or 48" slpr. Comparing that units cab to body space will give you an idea of how much space you'll lose. 3" between slpr and body plus 3-7" between cab and slpr depending on profile of back cab wall.
If you call ARI or ICT , both about 100 miles from so side of chicago they can tell you what you can or can't do on this project.