Looking for work in Metro Atlanta with my CARGO VAN

ChubbyRain

Active Expediter
Basically, ive searched the online sites such as Craigslist, Monster, and Indeed for Transport jobs using my Cargo Van and the only type of jobs i come across is local Courier work. I'll do it if I have to but would rather come across a position where I'm driving out of the Atlanta area going 4hrs or so to make one drop off and then back or just a few deliveries locally not 40 to 100 stops a day.

The local courier ads claims you will make between $700 and $1100 a week but after gas and other misc. company expenses as an independant contractor you'll be lucky to clear $500 which as a 1099 worker, taxes will come out of that at the end of the year.

I have a 2006 GMC 3500 Savana Cargo Van that I'm more then ready to put to work. If anybody knows of a local company in the Metro Atlanta area that is HIRING, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You.... :)

p.s. I'm willing to drive loads out of the metro Atlanta area to Florida, S. carolina, N. Carolina, Alabama, Tenn....basically southeast.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I saw this post earlier, but couldn't remember the name of the company. DTH is it. I talked to them a couple of years ago. They seemed to have a lot of freight on the ATL area.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
I saw this post earlier, but couldn't remember the name of the company. DTH is it. I talked to them a couple of years ago. They seemed to have a lot of freight on the ATL area.

Last time we were home (Calhoun GA) Ceva in Atlanta had a sign in front they needed cargo vans. Don't know if they have enough now but doesn't hurt to check. :) Also, I remember seeing a sign for drivers for the railways. All I know about it is you pick up their railway workers and take them wherever they want to go. I can't remember the name of the company though so you would have to check into it.

ChubbyRain

Active Expediter
I contacted DTH this morning and unfortunately they are not looking for any Cargo Van Expeditors at this time... :( any other suggestions? Its pretty rough out here for an honest man to make an honest dollar.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I contacted DTH this morning and unfortunately they are not looking for any Cargo Van Expeditors at this time... :( any other suggestions? Its pretty rough out here for an honest man to make an honest dollar.

I talked to a guy once in Atlanta that delivered news papers in bulk with his van to distributors. He had to run 7 nights a week about 6 hours a night. I think it is the Atlanta Courier??? Not sure.

ralphythorne

Seasoned Expediter
I see alot of Groome Transportation company passenger vans running up and down I-75. I believe they take people to the airport and back?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
I been trying to find more info on applying for a job with Groome but cant find a website on how to apply. Anyone know ?

ChubbyRain

Active Expediter
Ceva is currently not hiring...

And DTH has a $100 application fee that "IF" hired will be returned after 30 days of being employeed. Not sure but, is this type of application fee normal? Has anyone else been asked to spend money for an opportunity of employment?? I mean what if i don't even get the job, then I'm out $100 and still no work. :mad:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Ceva is currently not hiring...

And DTH has a $100 application fee that "IF" hired will be returned after 30 days of being employeed. Not sure but, is this type of application fee normal? Has anyone else been asked to spend money for an opportunity of employment?? I mean what if i don't even get the job, then I'm out $100 and still no work. :mad:

Bwahaha!!!....fat chance of that! lol. I can't believe I just read that. WOW

Well, so much for that recommendation. I would probably try to tough it out and bug Ceva till they could use somebody. You might surprised what persistence will do for you. That's how I wound up where I'm at.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
most companies IF they charge for lettering take from the settlement. N-E-V-E-R part with money on that basis.

ChubbyRain

Active Expediter
When i asked DTH what the $100 application fee covered, this is the response I recieved:

"Honestly I have about 75 van drivers I don't need another this bad to have to explain how and why we do business.

Thanks for your interest anyway."

-Its not that I was questioning the company's business or hiring practices, I was only curious as to what $100 charge would go towards... Is this what the economy has done to the current job market as whole, where a company wants to charge you up front to work for them. :confused:

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I used to haul air freight out of hartsfield area in the 90's. Back then, there were quite a few little outfits surrounding airport. You might try driving around the cargo areas and going in and talk to some companies. That's what I did. You might find a mix of local and regional work.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
When i asked DTH what the $100 application fee covered, this is the response I recieved:

"Honestly I have about 75 van drivers I don't need another this bad to have to explain how and why we do business.

Thanks for your interest anyway."

-Its not that I was questioning the company's business or hiring practices, I was only curious as to what $100 charge would go towards... Is this what the economy has done to the current job market as whole, where a company wants to charge you up front to work for them. :confused:

Wow. Seems like the people over at DTH are a little full of themselves.