Looking for some info on getting into expediting

Brock Powers

New Recruit
Researching
I have a class a with 4 years experience of tt work. I am looking at getting into expediting as a solo driver. Can anyone point me to the right person or company to talk to.
Thanks in advance
Brock Powers

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hope you get some replies soon.

It might help if you narrow down what it is you’re wanting to drive?

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can look on this site for “Drivers Wanted” or you can call PTL, they advertise on this site. You can try Expediter Services not sure if they do solo or not, they advertise on here also.

MARTY SUSTAIRE

New Recruit
Researching
Wanting to move into a sprinter from a big truck...my company said we could work out something using their authority and insurance.....they also broker some loads.... Secretary said going rate for o/o is 70/30... her husband is for another company... our small company ( 6 or 7 trucks )doesn't have any.... is this a good split and what else do I need to lookout for or require etc

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wanting to move into a sprinter from a big truck...my company said we could work out something using their authority and insurance.....they also broker some loads.... Secretary said going rate for o/o is 70/30... her husband is for another company... our small company ( 6 or 7 trucks )doesn't have any.... is this a good split and what else do I need to lookout for or require etc
70/30 is a great split, but why are you looking to go to a sprinter? Spending some time researching before switching, you will find an over abundance of vans.

MaxWellSmart

New Recruit
Researching
I'm thinking on getting a cargo also. Ford Transit either medium or tall roof. I'm sticking with gas in either the 3.5 or 3.7. Dont mean to step on your post.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I’ll give the Universal Advice.

If you’ve never driven a van expedite before, drive for a fleet owner before buying a van yourself. Even if you have a class A license and T/T experience, you’re about to enter the world of the last cowboys.

You see those 10 hour sleep periods? Wave “Bye Bye” to them.

MaxWellSmart

New Recruit
Researching
I’ll give the Universal Advice.

If you’ve never driven a van expedite before, drive for a fleet owner before buying a van yourself. Even if you have a class A license and T/T experience, you’re about to enter the world of the last cowboys.

You see those 10 hour sleep periods? Wave “Bye Bye” to them.
I can barely sleep 6..I can use the van for other purposes. I have another business but am ready to try to nomad around.
I dont think I would ever drive TT I'm seeing these type big rig trucks where it's just tractor with a trailer and no extra wheels. Lots of fedex.

Do I need the high roof and should I get the extended vs? Deff getting the 250 and staying under 10,000

Reactions: Solar

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do I need the high roof and should I get the extended vs? Deff getting the 250 and staying under 10,000

Look at it this way, any decent 2500-3500 should carry 3,000-3,500lbs with no issues, staying below 10,000lbs.

So if there is an advantage to be had, isn’t going to be weight, but room.

My advice, make sure you have a carrier that will take you on before buying a van, because they may have minimum size requirements on vans they will work with.

Reactions: MaxWellSmart

MaxWellSmart

New Recruit
Researching
Hi tread I have driven 1 ton trucks..I really dont like the ride... too stiff. I dont know if my insurance will be higher also.
If I can get by with a 250 extended medium roof..that would fit me. But if it limits me then maybe i get a 350..One ton takes all the fun out of driving in my book

MaxWellSmart

New Recruit
Researching
I have driven lumber roll off delivery trucks. I drove a 10 wheeler with air brakes for lumber yard in a pinch.
Those air brakes are no joke.
The driver would tell us when rolling off loads it would raise the front end off the ground.
You throw a rope on a angle and use tension to let load down easy off the end bar. You roll the load until its balanced to come off. Stand back give the rope some slack.
Sure enough the load I delivered did just that.
I was not licensed to drive it.
If any of you guys never drove air brakes...wow. Touch them and they bite.

Last edited:

asap4u

Expert Expediter
With your tt recent experience, you might check out a nitch within fedex cc - their HDN division healthcared shared network. Great opportunities for solo drivers out of their regional docks all work M-F

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Sandra James

Rookie Expediter
Researching

Look at it this way, any decent 2500-3500 should carry 3,000-3,500lbs with no issues, staying below 10,000lbs.

So if there is an advantage to be had, isn’t going to be weight, but room.

My advice, make sure you have a carrier that will take you on before buying a van, because they may have minimum size requirements on vans they will work with.

Okay, seems pretty decent advice. Thanks

Reactions: Solar