Looking for some cooking ideas

Kristi

Active Expediter
Ok I'm new to this whole cooking in the truck thing. We were eating out all the time but we quickly realized it get costly. So I'm looking for some cooking ideas.

Here's what I have in the truck: Sharp Grill 2 Convect microwave thing (I can bake, grill, cook, reheat, etc in it). A 6 cup rice cooker and an 11" electric skillet.

Any suggestions, receipies, ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using EO Forums

Kristi

Active Expediter
Oh and another question does anyone have one of those pasta cooker things u can buy at the truck stop? If so does it work good? Do u like it?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The pasta cookers work great, but don't do your shopping in a truck stop. (Inferior brands, high prices)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Kristi

Active Expediter
The pasta cookers work great, but don't do your shopping in a truck stop. (Inferior brands, high prices)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

Where else could I find one? I know not to shop in the truck stops. Its insanse how much stuff cost in there. The only thing we really buy there are the box set seasons of CSI. Those are the only things that seem to be cheaper than Wal Mart or Best Buy.

And thank u so much for the reply. :0)

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Ross has the pasta thingys. I only used mine for steaming until i bought my new rice cooker that is so awesome. $29 @ target. Locking lid so you can cook moving and it doesnt spull. Teflon insides. Steamer basket. Fries and keeps warm. Aroma brand ten or twelve cup.

Melissa ~ Team Kephart @ Mayfield Express

Kristi

Active Expediter
Ross has the pasta thingys. I only used mine for steaming until i bought my new rice cooker that is so awesome. $29 @ target. Locking lid so you can cook moving and it doesnt spull. Teflon insides. Steamer basket. Fries and keeps warm. Aroma brand ten or twelve cup.

My rice cooker isn't locking lid. I do want to invest in one tho. That or a locking lid crock pot.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
The rice cooker is about the same size and way more versatile. I make sausage and eggs, spaghetti, carne asada, red beans and rice, etc. Cant do anything but slow cook in the crockpot.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
While you can't use it while moving, a buutane burner and a iron skillet will let you do most anythimg you might want too...from scrambled or fried eggs and bacon to stew to fried chicken...beyond that, when at home do a bit of meal planning and cook as many meals as you want, vac seal them and keep them in the frig and reheat them in the microwave...in my frig right now is Bread pork loin chops, fried panko breaded chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, sauteed sausage, bell peppers and onions with red skin potatoes. Meat loaf...and chili mac....

and I am in a van....:D

Kristi

Active Expediter
While you can't use it while moving, a buutane burner and a iron skillet will let you do most anythimg you might want too...from scrambled or fried eggs and bacon to stew to fried chicken...beyond that, when at home do a bit of meal planning and cook as many meals as you want, vac seal them and keep them in the frig and reheat them in the microwave...in my frig right now is Bread pork loin chops, fried panko breaded chicken breast, mashed potatoes and gravy, sauteed sausage, bell peppers and onions with red skin potatoes. Meat loaf...and chili mac....

and I am in a van....:D

Lol...awesome. thank u so much for the input. I'm gonna give all these things a try.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
I have a butane burner but left the iron skillet at home and brought the square nonstick pan for grills. Have a tablecloth, etc for our ciikouts.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
i use a cast iron skillet because i love them, but yea a few well choosen teflon or other non stick pans work good, and I have a Calphalon Grill pan in here also they do a good job for the times you pickup a steak at the meat market....

Kristi

Active Expediter
We bought some 1x use BBQs at Wal Mart. Cool little things. Gonna crack one open tonight and put it to the test. Will let y'all know how it works.

ryansexpress

Seasoned Expediter
You can buy a kitchen kettle by Presto at Walmart. It will cook anything you want to cook. Eggs, toast, BBQ, beans, cabbage. Etc. easy cleanup also

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like the size of the Kitchen Kettle and that it is easy to adjust the temperature. I had never heard of this and goggled it and did a little reading. I like it and will check it out next time I am in a store.

Kitchen Kettle

Kristi

Active Expediter
That looks like an awesome addition for the truck. I have got to get me one. And not to pricey either. Thank u guys for all the input.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
We had a crock pot in the old truck and we did chili and stews. We also had a convection oven we did cornbread and biscuits in.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That looks like an awesome addition for the truck. I have got to get me one. And not to pricey either. Thank u guys for all the input.

What does the Kitchen Kettle do that the rice cooker can't?
I use mine to brown meat & pierogis, steam veggies, cook & drain pasta - it does everything but bake. And I have a cupcake maker that does that - the lasagna was terrific, next time: meat loaf!
Did you check the sub forum 'Cook's Corner'? There's some killer recipes & ideas from years ago.
:D

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Cheri it looks like you can control the temperature a little better then we can with the Rice Cooker from what I saw. I have not seen one yet as I keep forgetting to look.... Old age I guess

I am still happy with my Rice Cooker that I have had for 7 years. Still using the original one and it has more then paid for itself.

Kristi

Active Expediter

What does the Kitchen Kettle do that the rice cooker can't?
I use mine to brown meat & pierogis, steam veggies, cook & drain pasta - it does everything but bake. And I have a cupcake maker that does that - the lasagna was terrific, next time: meat loaf!
Did you check the sub forum 'Cook's Corner'? There's some killer recipes & ideas from years ago.
:D

My rice cooker is very small. That is why I'm interested in the Kitchen Kettle.

I will look into Cooks Corner. Thank u

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My rice cooker is very small. That is why I'm interested in the Kitchen Kettle.

Now I see. My storage space is small - every time I add something, I have to rearrange things to make room, and then I can't find stuff for weeks, lol.
If you get the Kettle, let us know how it works, please.

I will look into Cooks Corner. Thank u