Looking for recent info

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
Have been looking at truck in Fed-Ex fleet. Have letter of intent from Fed-ex for employment. Question for other straight truck drivers. Do solos get loads or do they favor teams? Runs and payouts from owner of truck, covering Jun. - Dec. last year with inexperienced driver looks good. Should be able to do that or better. Been self employed, self reliant, since "97". Really understand the ups and downs of anything. Can I get enough loads?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Where do you live ?
How often you going home ?
Liftgate ? Hazmat ? Size unit ?
What loads don't you want ?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Can I get enough loads?

No, you cannot get enough loads, if it is "good" loads you seek. Rare is the expediter who feels he or she has enough "good" loads to haul. On the other hand, if it's just loads you want, there are plenty.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My Father used to tell driver's we had all good loads. Some were more good than others.
I started out solo D at Fedex. Hazmat, liftgate, IAC.
Living in Chicago, 500 miles anyway just aims you towards more freight. Was even offered Ca frt, Thursday pu, Mon del. DON'T do that as a solo.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
Have not bought the truck yet. Truck is in Fed ex fleet. Question for Fed ex straight truck drivers is can I get enough loads to survive the learning process without loseing everything I've got which is where I'm headed now if I can't get something together. I've been to the rodeo, this is just a different horse. Self employed for last 16 years, made some good money but the floods then the drought and these good ole Iowa farmers just have'nt helped the past couple of years. But hey the Gov'mt says the economy is comin back. Hoo ray!!!!! Anyway now that I'm done dancin, the reality is I'm 14 yrs from 70 the economy is still circlin the drain and I can no longer keep up with the 20 yr olds, living with mom, while making $10 driving a dump truck. Seems to be the going rate around here. (Omaha area) I'm old school hard worker which doesn't matter when they just need a body. I've always relied on myself, never asked anyone else to give me stamps for food or money to buy caddy's. Anything you do these days is taking a chance. But to do nothing is just dumb. Sorry bout the rant but it's frustrating. I've researched this, looked at numbers, been told about the realities. ect. and I'm still interested but If I can't get enough loads to make pmt's and send some home to wife and kids, is it worth the try? So still same question. Thanks

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
There are lots of loads for a solo. I did fairly well over 28 days running on flat rate as a solo.
These numbers are from 9/11 to 10/11. Things seem to be busier now.

8629 Dispatched miles. (8822 actual with unpaid personal miles)
$11208.78 Gross pay. ($1.30 per mile)
916.64 Gallons of fuel purchased (9.41 MPG)
$3393.44 Fuel cost ($3.70 per gallon)
$3.00 Tolls paid
$257.85 for one PM
$140.00 Qualcomm Fee
$149.82 Bobtail Ins
$224.00 Work Accident Ins (estimated)
$7040.67 Net after expenses ($.816 per mile)
No truck payment.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I easily surpassed the numbers recruiting gave me as fleet averages.
Don't know if they still do that.

Also, if you can drive a combo, you may want to look at the tractor/pup program.

If you plan to stay east of home I would think Omaha may not be too bad.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have not bought the truck yet. Truck is in Fed ex fleet. Question for Fed ex straight truck drivers is can I get enough loads to survive the learning process without loseing everything I've got which is where I'm headed now if I can't get something together. I've been to the rodeo, this is just a different horse. Self employed for last 16 years, made some good money but the floods then the drought and these good ole Iowa farmers just have'nt helped the past couple of years. But hey the Gov'mt says the economy is comin back. Hoo ray!!!!! Anyway now that I'm done dancin, the reality is I'm 14 yrs from 70 the economy is still circlin the drain and I can no longer keep up with the 20 yr olds, living with mom, while making $10 driving a dump truck. Seems to be the going rate around here. (Omaha area) I'm old school hard worker which doesn't matter when they just need a body. I've always relied on myself, never asked anyone else to give me stamps for food or money to buy caddy's. Anything you do these days is taking a chance. But to do nothing is just dumb. Sorry bout the rant but it's frustrating. I've researched this, looked at numbers, been told about the realities. ect. and I'm still interested but If I can't get enough loads to make pmt's and send some home to wife and kids, is it worth the try? So still same question. Thanks

Question, if you purchase the truck and 5 weeks later have an 8000.00 dollar repair which at the same time it takes you out of service for two weeks of no income. Do you have the recourse to survive that?

It is not an uncommon ocurance in this business and one that needs to be planned for just in case.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There are lots of loads for a solo. I did fairly well over 28 days running on flat rate as a solo.
These numbers are from 9/11 to 10/11. Things seem to be busier now.

8629 Dispatched miles. (8822 actual with unpaid personal miles)
$11208.78 Gross pay. ($1.30 per mile)
916.64 Gallons of fuel purchased (9.41 MPG)
$3393.44 Fuel cost ($3.70 per gallon)
$3.00 Tolls paid
$257.85 for one PM
$140.00 Qualcomm Fee
$149.82 Bobtail Ins
$224.00 Work Accident Ins (estimated)
$7040.67 Net after expenses ($.816 per mile)
No truck payment.

I know there are many other factors but do you have a guess as to what a team would do in those same 30 days?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
That was a good month. I would say that as a team we average 50-60% more. And we are no longer on flat rate. We do better on percentage.

paullud, I sent you a PM.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Question, if you purchase the truck and 5 weeks later have an 8000.00 dollar repair which at the same time it takes you out of service for two weeks of no income. Do you have the recourse to survive that?

It is not an uncommon ocurance in this business and one that needs to be planned for just in case.

Fantastic question for all expediter wannabees to ask themselves.

For some even a $500 repair with a two-day wait for parts can put them under. I know of a big-rig driver who once walked into a dealership and told the sales rep, "I can't afford to buy new tires, so I have to buy a new truck." And he was serious. Credit came easy in those days and he really did not have the money for new tires. But by trading his old truck in and financing the new truck, off he drove. He did not seem to care that the dealership was given free reign to give him a low trade-in credit, high truck price and lucrative (for the dealership) financing terms. He's a free-thinking, self-employed trucker, darn it, and wont' take crap from anyone.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Have been looking at truck in Fed-Ex fleet. Have letter of intent from Fed-ex for employment. Question for other straight truck drivers. Do solos get loads or do they favor teams? Runs and payouts from owner of truck, covering Jun. - Dec. last year with inexperienced driver looks good. Should be able to do that or better. Been self employed, self reliant, since "97". Really understand the ups and downs of anything. Can I get enough loads?
Some driver's may agree with me on this others may not but here go's. I think it is all a crap shoot no one can tell you if you will get enough loads or not. The reason I say this is if you accept a load how do you know the next offer would not have been better? I have been stuck in slow areas accepted a load I really didn't want and did 5000.00 the next week. You just have to pick and choose as best as you can based on what you learn as you go. I have met new drivers that say they are not making money and I ask them "how do you pick your loads" and they say they take every offer,that does not work. Every thing you have going for you is a plus like Reefer lift gate etc. Gonna get you more loads and more pay. If I were you and wanted to try this I would hire a co-driver and run Team. All the advise about the repairs are spot on you gotta be ready for anything.

Larjac

Rookie Expediter
Taking a step back. Financing is a problem. Would probably be easier if looking at new truck. Knowing all the possible problems, I would rather lose small than big while learning. Stepping back for a breather allows for more information gathering. Time to finish Haz-Mat and making preps at home. I can then also look at other trucks. The one I was looking at would do the job but was possibly a bit over priced. If I'm living in it, I could handle more than just a bed and a shelf. So anyway, I'm in the market for a truck and would appreciate any and all leads. Meanwhile , I'll be here soaking it all in. At some point I will get on and introduce myself. As a tid-bit, I've been a painter for most of 35 yrs. In bidding I consider what I'm painting, how long it will take me, cost of materials, wear and tear on equipment, how much profit I made, historically, (if any) on similar jobs, ect. Sound similar to what you consider when looking at loads? Be safe, be prosperous.