Looking for Opinions on these 2 trucks

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Ok so 2 trucks have come in to play for us to buy. Both will be $2500 down 10% weekly toward price 15% weekly set aside for savings. so kind of a 25/75 split

It is a really hard choice because yes the Western start is newer and looks a lot better. The M2 has the much bigger sleeper and is a LOT cheaper...

2004 M2 112 $25,000
MBE 4000
1,128,000 Miles
Clutch automatic
96in Sleeper
Outside storage boxes
APU
Roof a/c
lift gate
Pusher drop axle (when down it is a set of drives)

2008 Western Star $59,000
MBE 4000
Clutch-less Automatic
Double Bunk Sleeper
APU
Lift gate
Tandem Axles
Still can not do California as the EGR and regen have been professionally removed

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
How many miles on the Star? What do you mean by "professionally removed". A dealer or engine manufacture can't legally remove regen systems.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably go with the Star unless the other at over a million is running on a rebuild. Tough call as the Star is also more than twice the other. Probably depends on your cash reserves. Either use it to pay for more truck or pay a little later for a rebuild.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Too many miles on the Freightliner unless the motor has been rebuilt at some point. Bunch of questions on the Star on removing the EGR. I'd have to walk away from both. IMO.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Too many miles on the Freightliner unless the motor has been rebuilt at some point. Bunch of questions on the Star on removing the EGR. I'd have to walk away from both. IMO.

Have to agree. It would be tough to move on either of them.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Both trucks run full synthetic oil and the west coast 3 micron filters with all filters changed at 15,000 miles and the oil analysis done . i do know a few people that have gone 2 mil on a MBE 4000

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Wouldn't change my mind just because of that. The idea is to minimize your risk as much as possible. These two have too many red flags for me. Again, just my opinion.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is just the engine. Got a lot of other items on a truck that wear.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Ok total change of plans LOL I do agree with what you guys are saying it is a risk. So now that is eliminated. A couple have a truck with load one already 3193 i think well the team is leaving them to start a home life. so she has offered this we run a 60/40 split we het the 60 and 100% fsc. re run like this till we get back on our feet. then if we choose to we buy the truck on a 90/10 split. it is a 07 m2 112 the truck has been VERY well maintained. Not sure of the miles i forgot to ask but if the truck has too many risk we can stay drivers if we are happy or buy another truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Certainly a better option than the provided buying scenario.

guido4475

Not a Member
How many miles on the star?? How many idle hours? Do they have accurate maintenance records? How many times do you go to California? Is it enough to warrant getting an older truck? I'd go with the Star myself, knowing it is a much better truck even though it is still made by freightliner. I think they are much more better quailty...not as good of quality as before freightliner bought them, but better. When was the last rebuild on the freightliner? Rods and mains were done how long ago? Is the m2 a class 7? Its been so long since I had all of this stuff in my memory database....lol..why not try to find something with a cummins in it? I've had extremely good luck with those engines in the past.

guido4475

Not a Member
Worst mistake ever is to rush into buying a truck. Drive and get caught up !!!!!!!!

Yes. There are quite a few drivers here driving for good fleet owners who I think have the best of both worlds. Linda came here per my recommendation with 1 truck. Now she is up to like 8 trucks I think. A very good person to drive for.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
How many miles on the star?? How many idle hours? Do they have accurate maintenance records? How many times do you go to California? Is it enough to warrant getting an older truck? I'd go with the Star myself, knowing it is a much better truck even though it is still made by freightliner. I think they are much more better quailty...not as good of quality as before freightliner bought them, but better. When was the last rebuild on the freightliner? Rods and mains were done how long ago? Is the m2 a class 7? Its been so long since I had all of this stuff in my memory database....lol..why not try to find something with a cummins in it? I've had extremely good luck with those engines in the past.

They are both class 8 but we did pass on them. And choosing the owner that we can but the truck.

guido4475

Not a Member
This is here at TAFA getting an alignment right now. A 2000 fl80 with 1.2. Mil on it with a reman detroit series 50 in it 250 thou ago. Gen liftgate everything works. Real clean for its age with a good level headed owner looking to get out of the business. Brand new week old drives. Super singles on the lift axle. The only thing I see it needs is the box painted. I'd consider it if I were looking for a truck regardless of its age. He's telling me $17,500 for it. It seems real solid and all there, not held together with tape like so many older trucks out here. Empty weight is 23000 with a 45k gvw.payload of around 18000 he says..it has about a thousand pound to play with on the front and the rest is to be put over the rear drive and lift axle. I haven't seen the ibside yet but he says this is on e.o. classifieds.

Attachments

• 1410364919260.jpg
    1410364919260.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 1410364943161.jpg
    1410364943161.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1410364964337.jpg
    1410364964337.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 1410365017176.jpg
    1410365017176.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 1410365042735.jpg
    1410365042735.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 102

guido4475

Not a Member
The hood is new and the front stuff is bew also because of a recent deer hit. He tells me the guy who painted the front end will do the rest ofvthe truck for 1,800. He did an excellent job on the hood paint job. I wish mine came out that good.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Thank you all for the Help. we chose option 3 we will drive for this couple till we get on our feet then we can buy the truck. when we buy it will be on a 90/10 split which will help a lot during any down time for repairs.
I said before but this truck is a
2007 M2 112 (class8 engine and trans)
Single axle but if needed can get a tag.
MBE 4000
Eaton Ultra shift transmission.
Has been Very well cared for. Miles are unknown but if its too bad we can choose not to buy it at least this way we can get back to work. This truck is already at Load 1.