Looking for driver feedback

jlane

Rookie Expediter
Hello,
I am going to purchase 3 tractors in January. I will be signing them on at Panther. My question is about driver preference of truck models. I am looking at International Pro Stars, Kenworth T2000s, and Freightliner Columbia and Cascadias. Any thoughts about which offer the best bunk and cab layouts. Before someone jumps in to tell me I am looking at the wrong things before buying. I have already looked into, and have a primary preference, for the engine and transmission set up. I am just looking for feedback regarding livability from the people that actually live in them. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Another good resource for this question would thetruckerreport.com. Those guys and gals there are super helpful

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The Pro Stars are nice and so are both of the Freightliners you mentioned, I prefer Freightliner though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

jlane

Rookie Expediter
Thanks KickStarter6 I will try that. I did and was disapointed to say the least. Then I figured out it's actually "thetruckersreport.com" . That "s" makes all the difference. Thanks again. Jeff

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure there'd be so much difference between them that it'd sway that many drivers one way or another.
If new, my choice would be swayed by the dealershio I was dealing with.
If used, I'd probably go with the better group of trucks.

The Kenworth is the premium of the group.
If buying used, KWs from Stevens, a training company with probably less than stellar maintainace, wouldn't be as good a choice as Prostars from Heartland.
New,I'd go KW myself.
Cummins I would think would be the only engine available in all those chassis.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Thanks KickStarter6 I will try that. I did and was disapointed to say the least. Then I figured out it's actually "thetruckersreport.com" . That "s" makes all the difference. Thanks again. Jeff

You make a GREAT point. Sorry about that but I hope the site helps tho

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,
I am going to purchase 3 tractors in January. I will be signing them on at Panther. My question is about driver preference of truck models. I am looking at International Pro Stars, Kenworth T2000s, and Freightliner Columbia and Cascadias. Any thoughts about which offer the best bunk and cab layouts. Before someone jumps in to tell me I am looking at the wrong things before buying. I have already looked into, and have a primary preference, for the engine and transmission set up. I am just looking for feedback regarding livability from the people that actually live in them. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jeff

Id go with the Columbia's with Detroits or Cummins. As a fleet owner you want ease of repair and access to parts to lessen downtime. All newer trucks I own are in the shop way more then the pre-emission Columbias and FLD's. Drivers like nice rigs but they also want to.be driving not in the shop waiting on parts or for the mechanic with the one computer to plug the truck in and fix it. If I went new again id look at the Cascadias. Id stay away from the Maxxforce, not sure how the new Paccar motors are.doing yet. Just my. 02.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Are your newer trucks in the shop way more because of the trucks or because of the shops ??
Don't want to hijack the thread. Just food for thought.....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He must be looking used. Not sure if the T2000, or even the Columbia, is still in production.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not a big truck driver but I would think if your trying to find couples you would want one larger bed. If your looking at single guys or gals you would want bunks.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
That brings up a dilemma, if you buy trucks prior to getting drivers.

When my daughter started her first three offers were from one bed guys that offered to sleep head to toe until they could "save up" for an upper bunk.

Although in her twenties, she didn't fall for it.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That brings up a dilemma, if you buy trucks prior to getting drivers.

When my daughter started her first three offers were from one bed guys that offered to sleep head to toe until they could "save up" for an upper bunk.

Although in her twenties, she didn't fall for it.

While that's an absurd thing for them to say, I wouldn't wanna sleep head to toe with a random trucker....gross feet yuck blah

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
As Vince said, I would stay away from the Maxforce engines in the internationals. I would also stay away from 07-09 cummins. Those years had cam issues ( lobe wear issues ). The Columbia's or Century's pre 08 are all fine choices for drivers. Plenty of room. I prefer the Century myself. If you look real hard you can find a few Columbia's and Century's up to the 07 model year with the 12.7 Detroit instead of the 14.0 Detroit and I would jump on one of those. The cascadia is also a fine choice, although I would want a 2010 or newer. I would also jump all over a older T600 KW with the pre accert 6NZ CAT. If you look hard here you can find the the larger 86" sleeper.

VTurri

Seasoned Expediter
Are your newer trucks in the shop way more because of the trucks or because of the shops ??
Don't want to hijack the thread. Just food for thought.....

I wonder this myself

Seems the more.electronics, sensors, DEF systems ...is more to go wrong. Newer the truck, less parts availability and more specialized mechanics and equipment to fix the trucks.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Vince, any of your newer trucks running DEF ?

Not sure, but I think the bad rep trucks got deservedly when EGR came out too soon has carried over into new trucks.

I've asked here and nobody will respond to problems with 2010 newer trucks.

My 2012 Volvo had a recall. Monday am appt. in by 8, out by 1.
It's had two other recalls, one about 20 minutes added to a service. One about 30 minutes.
It had an air governor go bad. Last week, I broke the air ride level control rod. Possibly hit by road debris. When I crawled under it, I found a pinion seal leaking.
I called a Volvo dealer and he was busy. Couldn't get me in til later that day.
Set appt up for 0800 the next day.
Out by 1400. Warrantied the seal.
235,000 miles.
1 parked regen.
One $75 "7th injector" cleaning. Two filters in def system. One just slipped into filler neck.

I was scarred to death to go from my 2001 N14 to a new truck.
Now I wish I was young enough to be building another truck soon.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jeff, You stated you're set on the drivetrain,so engine comments aren't needed.
Got that.
Not many Prostars in this segment. Appears to be a great truck w/o the Maxxforce.
Expediting is heavily populated by Freightliner..One reason is in the straight truck segment a few Freightliner guys have pursued the market. They are readily available, ready to go. People buy them because they are there.
Lots in the TT side again because there are so many used. Select Trucks has made it easy for first time buyers to get financed.
I looked at an early Cascadia, was disappointed. I imagine those problems have been rectified. It drove like crap with it's rack and pinion steering.
It might be worth putting up with Freightliner to get a Detroit.

You want to know about cab layout .
It really boils down to two things.
One bunk or two. Answer: Does the team want one bed or two ?

One thing I would say is that if you have a dinette/office suite type option take it. I don't know anyone that got a table and didn't like it.

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Jeff, unless your trucks will run a dedicated lane where they are always moving, the best thing you can do is spend the money for an Onan APU and roof air. If in cold climates, an espar or webasto too.
This will cost you a few thousand more than a typical APU.
I've never heard anybody with that set-up say They wished they had any other set-up.
Keeping drivers comfortable adds to contentment more than you can imagine.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trucking is an excellent way to retire with a small fortune, provided you start with a large fortune. I think KW is the premier brand. Just stay away from anything with a Cat engine.