Looking for a Driver

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
As some of the readers know i'm fielding one more truck and waz looking for a driver. The last couple weeks I took it on a "shake down cruise" IN to FL to MS Gulf Coast to New England to VA and back to IN. During this time I fielded phone calls and read responses on the computer from the ad I placed here. Following is what you should not do if you really want a ride.

One fella sent a one and half liner, wondering what the pay waz.

One fella simply wanted to know, if, he paid fuel, could he go home EACH weekend.

One fella ended his speel with "if you think YOU can get along with ME give me a call. (evidently he hasn't figgured out whom signs the paychecks yet)

There were a number of other half a$$ed attempts at getting a ride, and all I can suggest to you job seekers is, plan your attack and work your plan much better than what I experienced. There must be way too many places to respond to that they can't take the time to target a couple and "do it well".

Also, I have found by talking to the "experienced" expediters, that their experience amounts to being:

Experienced at sitting at truckstops (urgg) and waiting for the infamous bleep.

Experienced at placing 2-6 skids on the truck and driving 2-400 miles to the delivery.

Experienced at saying "I don't go there"

And many other experiental factors that a Carrier don't need.

Thru it all tho, I found one excellent candidate that shook outa the bag. And that's all I need, is one. And to many of you, you really need to be a student of your profession, and learn something about transportation. Rather than just a paycheck.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the world of tryig to hire people. When I expanded the ops out of Barrie I required a driver for a run and the split was 90/10 as driver paid for everything. This high split paid part of the deadhead for coming back empty as there was no backhaul.

Had a heck of a time finding anyone as the work was in the evenings and no one wanted to work friday nite. I tried drivers, unemployed guys, welfare folks and others. Similar response to friday nite and in fact to any evening work and the deadhead back (we covered part). We even changed the pay to 100% and still a problem. Went as far as offering to pay strictly cash (under the table) and still a problem.
Now you think the pay was bad, but actually this run wasn't too bad. I easily made a profit on it.

Another job I had for my store I offered 12-15/hr and no takers. Same job I re offered for 9-10/hr and several takers. One time though I couldn't get anyone fast so I hired my kids who actually performed better than some of the folks we did finally hire.

Hope this guy worksout. I'll soon be in your position again as I'm putting on another truck as well.
Rob Fis

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
HI;
Being a very new newbie here to this world of Expediting....

I wonder what companies out there in the Non-Expediting world would do ?? Would They hire them with responces like that ?? Probably Not !!!

Maybe the Expediting Fleet Owners need to go to the application process with a Written Resumes and Interviews vers the simplicity of classified ads such as what is on this site ???

If I were a Fleet Owner and recieved Responces like that to my ad looking for a driver I would would probably send a reply rejecting them and also letting then know why !

This is a business , even Burger King has a hiring process !!
Only My Thoughts...
RMCTT2

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have to admit, we have been pretty lucky and fortunate in the teams that we have hired. But it can be "like shooting fish in a barrel"
We try to wait for the best team, or I would just assume parking it.
The latter being much cheaper.
It is amazing though that through the process, what some peoples expectations are. Some are just as the Col had mentioned or worse.

Things like "I have no experience but want to get my CDL" followed by, because of that I need a new truck with a large sleeper, automatic, generator, and need to be home every other week".

"We are a new team with no experience and need to make 1500 dollars a week for each driver".

"I have four dogs and two cats, can I bring them"?

"I can only run the southern states in the winter, is that ok"

"Do you pay for meals"?

"We read flowery stories somewhere of being a paid tourist and would love to have 3 or 4 days between each load to take the sites in".
"We will need a $200,000 truck for this to work for us. Is that ok"?

"Can our kids travel with us and be homeschooled on the road"
"We can only drive a truck with a large sleeper because of this".

"We are retired and just want to drive two weeks out of the month, is that ok"?

I could go on. Broom is right, some of the stupid requests are outright funny sometimes. Whats worse is when you laugh at them, and they get #####.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nah, it's not really worse, it's kinda funny... the long silence, then the sputtering begins. Like their reality is somewhere in the twilight zone. Somewhat removed from the way it really works.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Responses like these mentioned show the truth that there is a lack of understanding what the trucking LIFESTYLE entails.

There's a big difference in 'driving a truck', and being a true 'trucker'. Not everyone who drives a truck is a trucker, just like not everyone who rides a bike is a biker.

No, I'm not talking about wearing the right hat or gloves, LOL, or even what you drive. I'm talking about having your head right, and taking pride in what you do.

I've met van drivers who I would consider real truckers, and semi drivers who were steering wheel holders.

Some people get it, some don't.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator
Expeditersonline.com
Truckme.com

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thank you Dreamer, that IS a good analogy of the situation. All the folks have to figgure out now IS, which THEY is.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>We even changed the pay
>to 100% and still a problem.
>Now you think the pay was bad, but actually this run wasn't
>too bad. I easily made a profit on it.

>Rob Fis

How does one make a profit paying 100%?

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
To all;

DRIVERS are like Christmas presents - the "wrapping" can be beautiful but you never know what you got 'till you open the package.

Enough said.

HotFr8Recuiter:)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"I'm talking about having your head right, and taking pride in what you do."

Isn't this the foundation of professionalism?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ppl like that gets thru the cracks because fleet owners are looking for bodies. No different from the JBs and Swifts, as they just want steering wheel holders. Just like the driver, the owner has to evolve in this biz in order to succeed.

Col... I hope he works out for you also.

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well I guess I'm about to step on some toes, but oh well. I know I haven't been on this site very long, but I sure do hear alot of talk about people and thier big sleepers. Nothing wrong with that. Because I know most of you worked for it, and earned it so I hope you enjoy it. You very rarely hear anyone talking about taking a step up to that big nice rig. You hear very few people talking about paying thier dues. The first expediter I drove had a 36" sleeper you couldn't stand up in. I didn't have a t.v.,satelite,xm radio and laptop. But guess what? I made just as much money as the guy with the apartment on wheels. And you want to know something else? My wife rode with me in that business class freightliner with the 36 inch sleeper. I was happy to be making a paycheck. As long as the truck is safe, and I can use it to make money that's all I care about. Heck the way I see it is all that weight you're carrying in sleeper could be freight in the box, and money in the bank. If you have a big sleeper and earned I'm proud for you, but I'm tired of running into people who think they should be able to start at the top. Anything, I mean anything worth having has to be earned. If you get it without earning it you wwon't appreciate it.

swiftyexp

Seasoned Expediter
>One fella sent a one and half liner, wondering what the pay
>waz.
>
>One fella simply wanted to know, if, he paid fuel, could he
go home EACH weekend.

Not trying to be a butt hole........... but these questions should have been covered in ad. These are questions you should have asked when you leased on. For someone never in expediting these are questions they wouldn't have known. you cover all basis in ads then you dont have these questions. These people probably weren't your best canidates but for I think a guy has the right to know what to expect for his salary and what the terms of employment are.....Don't you.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well swiftie, we don't sign on with anyone. Pretty explicit about "experienced expediter/truck driver in the ad.

Experienced knows, you won't be home each week end. Pretty simple.

Just what could/would you reply to a line and a half wondering what the pay waz? No experience, no nuttin was given to me to base a wage.
I guess I need to know from You, what your reply would be, without having anything to base a value on.

C'mon lemme see what you may offer him.

Ja bump yer head?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Col,
Here is how I would reply to your ad.
I have 3 years of general otr truck driving experience. I also have one year of expedite experience plus 3 years of driving farm trucks to the rice mill in high school. I have a Class A CDL with Hazmat endorsement. I have flatbed experience as well. I know how to search load boards to find my own load if need be. I'm very interested about this postion .I'll be honest I have 1 accident on my record. I ran off the road to avoid a head on collision. No one was injured and there was no property damage. I have never left a job on bad terms. I hope you will contact me so we can talk about the postion in the near future. My number is 123-456-7890. Thank you for your consideration.

Not trying to sound like a smart a$$ but does that sound like a decent reply?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Good reply Ark. Gives a fella something to start a shortlist with.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Then when we talked on the phone I would ask the details on pay, how often settlements come in, could my wife ride from time to time, and the like. This like anyother business. It never ceases to amaze me how people come in this business with no experience, but they do have demands. Honestly I think I'd rather run one of your 4 axle cabovers with the 30 foot box instead of a 2 axle truck with a huge sleeper and lil box. Regular size sleepeer + more axles + bigger freight box= more freight to haul= more money in the bank. That's a lil redneck math lesson. It's like my dad always says " Son you ain't doing it for your health". That's right I want to go where the money is, but that is not my first question.