Longterm Disability Insurance

truckwife

Expert Expediter
I've been getting quotes from different companies for disability ins.I called state farm and they dont have short term but did give me a quote on some longterm on me and my husband.It was almost $500.00 amonth on me and on him.What caught my attention was the price was $20.00 higher on me.I'm a non-smoker and he's a smoker and is 5yrs older also.I ask her way is this higher on me?The allstate rep said,she use the handbook prices for truck drivers and anyone in that type job and that women truck drivers are more prone to get disable in this type job than a man.I couldnt get the rep to explain what guide lines they go by to come to the higher price.Keep in mind that she only ask our job title,age and smoking status.Does anyone anyone have any thoughts on this?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We checked into the cost of this insurance and found it cost prohibitave. Did not go far enough to see if the price was different for me or Bob. Driving a truck is dangerous business I guess!!

truckwife

Expert Expediter
We are o/o of a straight truck,we are looking into getting mortage disability its seems to be some cheaper.Also may give Ron a call and check what kind of plans he has.thanks for your replys. O/O Fedex C.C.
Randy/Pamela Hart

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I said in the original post, this coverage is available and Jon Thompson, 713-458-4125, is an excellent person to work with.

DO NOT buy mortgage insurance. It is a very poor buy. All it does is pay the mortgage company the balance due on the loan. You need a level term policy. Call Jon and he will set up a good plan for you to take care of your specific needs.

I had in mind mortgage life insurance not mortgage disability insurance but I stand by the suggestion to call Jon and discuss the best way to protect your family and interests.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
Are we talking about the same insurance that O/O want you to have in order to work for them? or is workers ins. different.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe you are referring to either workman's comp or occupational accident coverage. Those are the most commonly required by the carrier and/or owner. Disability insurance is a different coverage and isn't limited to work related accidents. Broadly speaking, anything that causes you to be unable to do your job is covered and the money received is tax free. Talk to an insurance provider like Jon Thompson who I mentioned or your local agent to get full details.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.