Long deadheads

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have been getting some extremely long deadhead miles on our new flat rate load opps. Example: 477 dh 45 loaded. Is this because no one will do the short runs on the new pay plan? It amazes me that they could pay me to dh that far but not pay a truck in the area a fair rate to do the run.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EO Forums mobile app

aimeejos

Active Expediter
A lot of trucks have quit and a lot are sitting because of the DOT blitz.
But I believe you also hit the nail on the head- they will have problems covering the short loads- it's not just the milage pay it's also the time involved.

Last edited:

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Short loads are bad now. Are y'all putting in counter offers on these loads? Even though they aren't accepting them or are u just declining?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have been approached by at least a dozen Teams and singles running Straight Trucks and Tractor Trailers running surface. Stating they cant make it on the short loads as they are not paying. Yes your right a lot of them are saying they are quitting. Reason are simple short loads should pay more and they cant support them selves. Some saying they going to twist the owner arm to switch to a different company and others say they going to take the truck back and become a company Driver. Many of the tractor trailer drivers can do the switch easy but those in the straight truck with class A. If they been outa the tractor for a year they are now a rookie and will have to go through the whole onset again to driver a tractor if they went from a TT to a St. Good Luck. Best suggestion Ride it out. It will get better.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
I can figure them out we have a load opp CA to MS 159 miles DH 43.500 lbs HM ,Sec1 WG $4700. @ $1.83 all miles I ask for a $5300 an they said no but they send it to a truck in Dallas for $ 6700 how that make sense !!!

tyoung

Expert Expediter
I've been here long enough to know that NOTHING FedEx does makes sense. They are in it for themselves and could care less about the drivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using EO Forums mobile app

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been here long enough to know that NOTHING FedEx does makes sense. They are in it for themselves and could care less about the drivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using EO Forums mobile app

Business is business.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they want us to run it, they will pay the rate that WE want to run it at, OR, we WON'T run it. It really is simple. IF they want employees, let them buy the trucks, pay to maintain them, etc etc etc.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If they want us to run it, they will pay the rate that WE want to run it at, OR, we WON'T run it. It really is simple. IF they want employees, let them buy the trucks, pay to maintain them, etc etc etc.
Yupper that's a true. The Plane The Plane. Check out Utube.

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Been offered loads picking up today in NC, GA and KS. I am in Memphis.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using EO Forums mobile app

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
It is but it is also about delivery location. All loads have been to known dead zones.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
This weekend we did an 811 mile dh from Fort Worth to Atlanta. Picked up one skid (HAZMAT) and delivered in Brooklyn which was 862 loaded miles. With the HAZMAT and NYC pay and tolls it paid fairly well.