LOCKED IN

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So.....I show up for a 5o'clock pick up about 2. I walk in to see what's up . I say ...." I know I'm early , but I'm here for a pick up for .........." She gets on the phone with someone briefly , tells me to go back in to a specified dock and when done stop back to pick up paperwork . I back in ...light goes RED and I hear loading . Light stays RED......for two hours . Finally I start inquiring . Rest of parts won't be done until 7 ! Now I'm LOCKED to the dock and stuck here . Why not just tell you up front . Is this considered detention time ? Being locked to a dock for 5 hours ?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Makes me glad I'm in a van. The only way to lock me in is to close the gates-----.

Problem: The pickup was scheduled for 5:00, y'all got there at 2:00. I have a suspicion that the detention clock starts at 5:00, so you may have given them 3 free hours by arriving early.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Detention clock probably doesn't start until 7:00, if it's two hours. But yeah.

Most of these suppliers... they know. ;)

Reactions: Moot and BIGTRAIN

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Makes me glad I'm in a van. The only way to lock me in is to close the gates-----.

Problem: The pickup was scheduled for 5:00, y'all got there at 2:00. I have a suspicion that the detention clock starts at 5:00, so you may have given them 3 free hours by arriving early.
Good point!

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no problem waiting as this is part of the game , But don't LOCK ME IN , THEN tell me they aren't ready for five more hours. Thanks for all the replies .

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Arriving three hours early unannounced is not a best practice. While an early pickup may be desirable for a driver who is available to pick up early, an unexpected arrival may be an irritant or bigger problem for the shipper who arranged a 5:00 PM pickup. The driver may hear nothing about it but that early arrival may produce a complaint to the motor carrier or the shipper's unannounced decision to use a different carrier next time. It would be better to call ahead if you intend to arrive early. That way, if it is not a problem you can pick up. If it is a problem, the shipper's irritation ends with the phone call when you are confirmed for 5:00 PM.

Above, you were advised to teach them a lesson. It might be possible that they locked you in to teach you a lesson.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
But shippers think nothing of making you wait 3 or 4 hrs to get loaded,
Do you get phone numbers and contact names for pickups , I sure don't! , very seldom and my pimps won't make the call , too many toes to step on , that or maybe is my lack of pleasantness when I get irritated at stupid things like being lied to!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Whenever I arrive significantly early at a shipper, especially if it's a manufacturer building parts, I'll usually set the stage by saying something like, "I'm here to pick up something... that's probably not ready yet... because I'm here way early."

If it's ready, great, they load me. If it's not ready, like it won't be ready for 3 hours, everything about my facial expression and body language tells them in fine with that, and I'll usually go, "I can wait here, if you want, or I can go away and come back. I'm easy."

I include that "if you want" phrase to let them know that now that I'm here, I'm here for them. Not the other way around. I learned a long time ago that if the freight isn't ready, it doesn't make any difference whether I get mad, pout, or be nice and patient, I ain't gertin' loaded until the freight's ready. So, might as well be pleasant.

TDave

Expert Expediter
I do the same as Turtle and sometimes I call but most of the time I just wait and see. If they say it might be ready and they ask me to leave no problem and if they like they can have my cell number to tell me its ready. If tgey don't want it tgen I just come back at the schedule time. :)

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I usely say I here way early do you have a place for me to wait till the right time or I can leave and come back it's up to you

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
be on time, not too early, and not late
about 15 minutes to 30 minutes is just right
if you get there to early you have given them free time and
d time doesn't start until appt time