Local Courier Work With A Cargo Van

Kimberly Person

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thinking about Leasing a ford e-250 from a dealership for $300 a month and starting with a company looking for independent contractors to do local courier work. Hiring manager says average driver makes about $150 - $175 a day. How realistic is this? I guess bottom line is it worth it? If I can't net at least $500+ a week I just can't see going into this without setting myself up for failure. I'm in Dallas, TX and a newbie F.Y.I

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thinking about Leasing a ford e-250 from a dealership for $300 a month and starting with a company looking for independent contractors to do local courier work. Hiring manager says average driver makes about $150 - $175 a day. How realistic is this? I guess bottom line is it worth it? If I can't net at least $500+ a week I just can't see going into this without setting myself up for failure. I'm in Dallas, TX and a newbie F.Y.I

Well first this isn't really the forum for courier work, expediting is a different game. But I came from the courier field, leasing is a bad idea, while 300.00 a month sounds good what kind of mileage do you get with that lease? That will kill you at the end of the lease. Now 150.00 a day can happen but not everyday(I don't know the Dallas market) also courier work will beat that van to death quickly, who covers the repairs on the lease? And the Ford E-250 is known to not get the best fuel mileage in a around town setting.

Lost in Space.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
What city are you in try Ceva there around airport if they are in your area

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
If you lease you want a track lease, you pay no miles no matter how many. Send private pm with phone number will try to help

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have been a courier in the Baltimore/DC/Northern VA for fourteen years and it has been pretty lucrative for me. For years I drove Crown Vic ex-police vehicles picked up at auction by my bother-in-law (a major taxi owner in Baltimore). While these vehicles were ultra reliable you were somewhat limited on the size of things you could carry. I bought a Prius from him about 2 years ago and have been really happy with it, especially spending 1/3 what I used to spend on gas. In this area, $150-$175 a day is pretty easy to make. Some weeks are good, some not so hot. December and January were good for me. Both months I drove over 10k miles each and in January alone I grossed over $7000 (unusual). The company I contract for does more long runs than most local couriers, we go up and down the east coast (upstate/western NY to North Carolina). Every now and then we go to MIA. We carry a lot of human organs and also have a contract with an aircraft parts manufacturer. When a plane is on the ground and can't wait for the next flight out for a part, we drive them. We go to Buffalo a lot, especially during the winter.

You really have to check out the courier companies you may want to work for too. There are a lot of crooked owners out there as I guess there is in any transportation businesses. The company I work with now pays a 65/35 split which is something rarely seen. You pay for your own gas of course and he pays most tolls to the delivery out of the DC area which can really add up going to JFK a few times a week.

I just bought a '15 Promaster 2500 diesel high roof to see about getting into otr but not real crazy about being on the road weeks at a time and sitting waiting for loads days at a time. I guess that's why I joined this site, to learn about van expediting and different companies. Been getting a lot of good info here reading quite a bit.

Reactions: Mailer

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Buying the van should have been the last thing to do, not the first.

Anyways, keep on reading here and hopefully you can find something that works for you. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
check out ceva log in your area there in Baltimore ,Md

ALieNUpsTAirS

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks FlyingVan, the good thing is I will be able to use the van for a few more jobs with my courier company that I can't use my Prius for. We have a company Promaster that about 10 other drivers use and the thing is getting kinda ragged out with so many 'driving personalities'.

Geo...thanks for the tip. I've heard good things about Ceva. I'll check them out.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was in the courier Dallas market for many years. May I ask what company is telling you this? Dallas is a tough area. Last I seen there was over 50 courier companies.

TheCraftyTruckers

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think you could do well in Dallas, it's a large city and you can get on with a few different companies for on demand or pick up a route. You will deadhead a lot and be paid less and have to make more stops but always home is a plus.