loading that load

G

when you back into a dock before you are getting loaded, are you suppose to let the air out of the air bags?

because if you do the box goes way down and isnt dock high anymore
but if you dont let the air out does that damage the air bags?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I always kept my bags full but cranked down the rear support legs to avoid damage. I also would go on the dock and see if they were going to use a F/lift or pallet jack.With a P/Jack there is no need to crank the legs down.

G

ya i always use the dolly legs
so never release your air bags at the dock
that was a question and i was supplied with an answer

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some ppl mention that they put the dollies down almost to the ground, then let the air out. That way, they can put the air on when loaded, and don't have to fight cranking up the dollies.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Thought that you were supposed to let air out so that bags won't get damaged . If somebody knows - please explain.
THANK YOU

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
If the box is higher than the dock, then lower the airbags, if the dock is the same height then leave the airbags inflated. We lower the dollys when a forklift is being used, and we use a chock as well.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
I do both..cant hurt either..unless you do what I have dode on several occations..drove off with them down ..thank you very much
you wont go far ..and with the price off diesil its not cost effective.

wheeljam

Seasoned Expediter
Well we run a team in this truck, lowering the airbags keeps the truck alot more stable when using a fork lift. Lets the co driver stay asleep during loading and unloading. Been in trucks that you couldn't lower the bags, and was always awakened by the fork lifts bouncing the truck all over.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I ran into a guy from Panther at Ford the other day and he was having problems at the dock. Turned out to be the dock lock but while trying to figure it out, I asked if he dropped his air bags. Heck it may be the person who started this thread.

Well let me say if you have ever had a 16,000 to 18,000 pound fork with freight quickly enter your truck with bags full and have one pop you will then decide to dump them when you load. The difference between a load riding on full bags and load being loaded onto the truck with bags full if very different. I will not give you my explanation as to why I feel you should drop your bags but I do highly recommend it. I also would suggest you contact the manufacturer of your truck and ask their opinion.

The stability for the fork operator alone is a good reason but the constant abuse of the bag is even a better reason. I had one blow under that load and really screwed up my day and my shorts.

Raceman
OTR O/O