Load1 question

1CHINGON

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Elliot

simple questions for you about EBORs:

- are you going to install them before a gov't mandate?

- opinion on the device?

Thank you for your time.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Mr. Elliot

- opinion on the device?

Thank you for your time.

Well we are installing the newest qcomm's, the mcp200 on our entire fleet. This unit is a legal OBR unless the government changes the rules between now and a mandate.

I think they are ok if everyone has them. If everyone has them it levels the playing field. If that happens the free market will balance out and good companies will still do well. Bad companies will not fair as well.

Nadal

Seasoned Expediter
Mr. Elliot

- opinion on the device?

Thank you for your time.

With all my respect if you have a question to address to ''Mr. Elliot'' you should PM or call him.

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
and he is a true gentleman as well there would always be a open door at my campfires any time he wants it

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
The Load One people are some of the finest people in this industry. At all levels.
I don't doubt that for one moment, was just asking him if he could confirm what I heard (that he is a man of his word) and provide any examples of it.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well we are installing the newest qcomm's, the mcp200 on our entire fleet. This unit is a legal OBR unless the government changes the rules between now and a mandate.

I think they are ok if everyone has them. If everyone has them it levels the playing field. If that happens the free market will balance out and good companies will still do well. Bad companies will not fair as well.

Well ,since you opened the door ...

EOBR will do a lot of things ,but one thing they will not do is level the fields .
and beside ,why are we expecting from a 'safety tool' to improve economic statue in our industry ?
why , i tell you why ,because the ones lobbying for EOBR (ATA) are the ones that will be financially benefiting from such mandate .
they are not cost effective .
and will not improve safety . there is no safety data to show they enhanced hwy safety .
they are not design to balance out the good companies from the bads as you say .

TheTrucker.com - America's Trucking Newspaper

one thing most expediters do not need to deal with (thanks god) on a daily basic ,is the tremendous impact such mandate will have on shippers ,receivers and local municipality's ,to accommodate trucks .
and the cost of moving freight ,in a country that already have one of the highest shipping costs in the world ,and where shippers have a real hard time competing in worlds markets do to this.

now don't get me wrong ,i actually all for EOBR ,as long as the HOS have the flexibility to accommodate them .and as long as the small business owner is not the one to PU the bill for it.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Moose,

I am not for them in general. I do not believe in a government that over regulates private industry. What I do believe is that they are going to end up being mandatory in the next few years. I feel the ATA pushes for them because the giant carriers already have them and they are the deep pockets of the ATA. If everyone has to pay and get them then that will be an advantage to the large carriers that already possess them.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Moose,

I am not for them in general. I do not believe in a government that over regulates private industry. What I do believe is that they are going to end up being mandatory in the next few years. I feel the ATA pushes for them because the giant carriers already have them and they are the deep pockets of the ATA. If everyone has to pay and get them then that will be an advantage to the large carriers that already possess them.

Fair .

what i don't understand ,is why are we looking for the Gov. to mandate what is clearly a liability issue for every driver out there .
i remember a quote from a trucking law firms convention in Atlanta ,last year ,(the bad guys ,the ones that sue truckers),where a speaker simply said : give me a log book ,and i will win the case .

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. It is the same concept as to why TEANA is fighting the release of CSA 2010 numbers to the shipping public. Vicarious liability!!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
someone got a little carried away..this one BELONGS in the general threads...the Original poster is NOT from L-1..