Load Settlements

babs3361

Expert Expediter
Anyone else having problems with load not being paid out when it is suppose to be. Load pay being held up due to accessitoral pay like detention or agreed DH pay or layover pay. For us this is becoming a weekly problem. As a part of Driver council I want to know how much of a problem this is for owners. The reciepts were suppose to take care of this and it did for awhile. Reciept were for the purpose of we pay what we say. I guess it didn't mean they pay on time. I've had some pay as much as 4 wks later.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Barb...this is gonna sound crazy but I am being as honest as I can without pulling out all my books and reviewing all my e-mails..BUT out of 52 settlement checks last year maybe, I said maybe 5 were correct and I believe that is a strech..every wed. I am sitting on the owners web watching what is going on and if I see an early indication that there is a problem, I am immeditly on the phone with panther trying to fix it, sometimes it works but most time it dont get fixed that day..I spend a lot of time dealing with payroll and watching load receipts making sure that when the change them, its still corrrect..I review all my scanned paperwork after I scan it and keep the scan reciepts, to back up when I scanned them... there is a web address on each reciept and a batch number that you can log on and see what you have scanned...kinda a little CYA, and it makes it go much smoother when you have all your ducks in a row when dealing with payroll or settlements dept.
This gets very aggrivating every week. Week after week, seems like I spend about 4 hours a week making sure they pay me what they are supposed to do, and to top if off I am on the quick pay program and I am paying extra for the headache!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well Panther now has a policy of emailing you if there is a problem with a pro but don't hold your breath. I told them about a problem and it took 3 weeks before they sent me the email telling me of the problem by that time i had already resnet the pros in question

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Mistakes out the Yazoo is the ordinary... not the exception. Here are some examples I've dealt with the past month.

Promised $150 fuel bonus to get me to take the load. Then it was changed to $38. I got that back (I think) after a lot of time and effort. They knew I wouldn't have taken the load with the low surcharge and 135 miles deadhead without the bonus. My decision to take the load was based on the bonus offer.

I was offered 59 cpm on a load ... it even said that in the email... but when I got my statement it was changed to 51 cpm I tried and tried to get that corrected and no one ever did. I kept getting told "I'll get back to you." but they never do. When you hear that you can forget it.

My contracts says $1.20 per mile but less than an hour ago I got a load offer for 77 cents per mile. I feel like they were trying to sneak something by me. I shouldn't get such offers. My fuel cost per loaded mile is 79 cents... when dead head is figured in. I would be taking that load for free.

Somehow I feel they are making offers like this and placing bets as to whether or not the driver will accept... and laughing at the ones who do.

Recruiting gave me the paperwork for the weekly deductions for my truck. It clearly says $50 for escrow... but I've always been charged $60 and no one can figure out why... and no one cares. There is also a $20 charge that recruiting doesn't know about and no one can explain. This is WEEKLY.

I know that someone doing bookkeeping for an owner with several trucks must go crazy. It doesn't make sense that paycheck doesn't match qualcomm. AND the strangest thing of all is that I never have found a "mistake" in my favor.

I see no reason an ower/driver should have to check everything and waste so much time and effort trying to make corrections.

That's the way I feel about it.

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
If a customer booked a load at a cargo van rate, and there are no vans around they will offer the load to anyone around to see if they want to run it. Yo can say no.....noone is "sneaking anything past you". I am going to guess that 59cpm vs 51 cpm is a fsc estimate. FSC estimate is exactly that...an estimate. If you go back and check all of your fsc's you will probably find out that in may instances you were actually paid .01 -.02 cents MORE than the estimate given. The escrow amount changes once you have the qc escrow paid up......
Panther is truly not conspiring to make your life more difficult or trying to slip a load over on you.....they simply do not have the time left over after they conspire to screw all the cargo vans.

-charlotte

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
If a customer booked a load at a cargo van rate, and there are no vans around they will offer the load to anyone around to see if they want to run it. Yo can say no.....noone is "sneaking anything past you". I am going to guess that 59cpm vs 51 cpm is a fsc estimate. FSC estimate is exactly that...an estimate. If you go back and check all of your fsc's you will probably find out that in may instances you were actually paid .01 -.02 cents MORE than the estimate given. The escrow changes once you have the qc escrow paid up......
Panther is truly not conspiring to make your life more difficult or trying to slip a load over on you.....they simply do not have the time left over after they conspire to screw all the cargo vans.

-charlotte

I guess that shot down my "conspiracy" theory. haha

If I were not in the truck and they called they would only have told me the location and fuel surcharge.

Apparently hey have plenty time to screw over everyone. Why try to screw a cargo van out of 5 cents when they can screw a straight truck out of 50 cents per mile?

Hopefully the next time they "estimate" they will estimate in MY favor! I thought it was set in stone once it was sent over qualcomm. Advances and payroll are automatically calculated from those numbers..... so the only way for a variation to occur is for someone to intervene manually.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you aren't in the truck, and on the phone with them, you always always always ask if it's paying your rate, is it practical miles, is it hazmat, what's the deahead pay, does it require special handling and do you have a job at the consignee end to back it up with.

The fsc is almost never exactly what the offer said because the offer is always xx.0 cpm and the fsc is almost never exactly to the penny. The difference is almost always less than a penny per mile. It should be paid at the rate offered and the customer should be billed for it and if they refuse to pay they should be blacklisted.

You have to ask the questions, confirm the miles etc. because there's a big turnover in dispatch. With that many new people all the time they are scrambling to keep up and get their work done. They can't remember all the screw the operator lessons from their training so they mix up their operator screwing methods. Now, all of that is baloney. They don't do a single thing to deliberately screw the operators. They do suffer from the errors of inexperience. All companies have their warts just like all operators do. You just have to find the one with warts that match your own.

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
there's a big turnover in dispatch. With that many new people all the time they are scrambling to keep up and get their work done. They can't remember all the screw the operator lessons from their training so they mix up their operator screwing methods..

I think they get those cheat sheets like the laminated ones we got with the qualcomm codes. I use mine to deflect the ac toward my head. It's really useful.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
On the negative side, most of my loads pay is not right. I monitor my pay on line every day, and usually have to call to get it straightened out. By most, I mean probably 7 out of 10.

On the positive side, other than weekends of course, I have had every single error corrected, and usually on the first day.

I was irritated at first by having to constantly monitor, and spend time having it corrected. Now I just accept it as part of what it takes to make it at Panther.

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
I recently was paid for a load to Vancouver Island, BC but they neglected to pay me an almost $400 ferry fee that I had to lay out. I called and questioned why I was not paid. I was asked to resubmit the receipts which I did and was told that I would be paid immediately. I can't ask for more than that. They couldn't explain why I had'nt been paid for the Ferry but their immediate response to my complaint was certainly appropriate. Mistakes happen, God knows I'm not perfect and as long as mistakes are cleared up and admitted, I'm more than satisfied. Other than that, I've had no issues which you describe. Hope this helps you.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
we have not had that many problems with panther messing up our settlements,we monitor the web site a couple times a day to see any changes and call when something strange shows up like "dipatch" in the paydate colum, usualy our team leader calls us after we have questioned any thing at payroll. we are happy to have a place to monitor what is going on with pros we have scanned,it helps to jump on any discrepencies as soon as they show up.