Load Opps

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Well, I got my first load offer with the new system. It was no surprise that the rate was so low
I decided to pass on the load but wanted to counter offer a reasonable rate.
But no luck, the new system doesn't allow for any comments on mac 31 just a YES or NO.

Since I was miffed by this I decided to ignore the offer all together. 10 minutes after the load offer expired FECC called me. So apparently the other trucks turned the load down too. So much for improving response time.

If any of you have any clout with FECC you might suggest they put a section below the offer to allow drivers to respond as to why they are turning down the load, like under the old system.
This would benefit the customer because then there would be no need to call a truck and ask why the offer was TD'd.

As I suspected the new system is more about getting drivers to take unprofitable runs they would otherwise refuse than it is about anything else.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Re: FECC New DIspatch System

As I suspected the new system is more about getting drivers to take unprofitable runs they would otherwise refuse than it is about anything else.

And it shouldn't be long before this system is used for all of their dispatches.DD.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

There has been no rate change in FECC. This new dispatch system is just to speed up the process of letting the customer know whether there is a truck available or not.If dispatch can tell the customer there is a truck available quicker,then the customer wont be lQQking elsewhere for another company.If the rate you feel was bad,then it would have been bad last week too.If you feel the rates at FECC are so bad,just try going somwhere else,see how you like the rates then.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Automation,,isn't it wonderful? whats wrong with the good ole fashion way? Oh wait...there's no real dispatchers anymore!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter

Automation,,isn't it wonderful? whats wrong with the good ole fashion way? Oh wait...there's no real dispatchers anymore!

I beg to differ. It would appear today that there are indeed dispatchers, whether they're real or not is a matter of opinion.

Offered load on new system, turned it down, not in service yet and didn't want the load anyway.

In service at appointed hour and call dispatch to 'remind' them that we're at the house and they should use our primary phone number as we don't sit in the truck while at home.

MY cell (not the primary) rings, "why aren't you answering c-link"?:eek: Missed two load offers because we're not in the truck! Turned out to be no big deal as they were both low-rate that we didn't want but sheesh, how hard can this be??

FINISHED VENTING NOW!!

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter

In theory rates haven't dropped, that maybe so. In practice rates are all over the map. Some are ridiculously high some are ridiculously low. I'll bet they have no problem covering loads where the rate makes sense. So you're right, the new system probably will improve response for
cut rate loads, loads that pay fair don't have response time issues so that wont change.

As for the above mentioned load I would have passed on it anyway, but at least with the old system I could have TD the load with a counter offer that makes sense. Then the load could have been covered right away. Like I said I still got a call for the run 10 minutes after the run expired, which means the other trucks turned it down too!!!

So at a bare minimum the load still took 20 minutes to cover(Probably longer otherwise there would have been no phone call). Under the old system if the load was so hot FECC couldn't wait they could have accepted my counter offer and covered the load for the customer. All in less than 10 minutes.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I think it is funny.

No one really thought it was about response time, did you?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Again...automation is only as good as the information entered into the system, one missed message and it falls apart...give me an ole button board anytime...

BTW...DD you can stop begging now!!!

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Well I just talked to a gentleman and he told me he and his partner had been in Memphis since yesterday morning. He didnt seem to happy he also stated he got a room last night, While his partner waited in the truck for a load. Sounds to me like the more complex they make the systems the easer it is to stop them up. Must have a lot of Big Bubble Buggs :)

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

In theory rates haven't dropped, that maybe so. In practice rates are all over the map. Some are ridiculously high some are ridiculously low. I'll bet they have no problem covering loads where the rate makes sense. So you're right, the new system probably will improve response for
cut rate loads, loads that pay fair don't have response time issues so that wont change.

As for the above mentioned load I would have passed on it anyway, but at least with the old system I could have TD the load with a counter offer that makes sense. Then the load could have been covered right away. Like I said I still got a call for the run 10 minutes after the run expired, which means the other trucks turned it down too!!!

So at a bare minimum the load still took 20 minutes to cover(Probably longer otherwise there would have been no phone call). Under the old system if the load was so hot FECC couldn't wait they could have accepted my counter offer and covered the load for the customer. All in less than 10 minutes.
turn c link off,use your cell phone as primary number,then make them call you on every load,you want to dicker price,thats how,if you rely on clink,well you get what you get

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

nightcreacher:
turn c link off,use your cell phone as primary number,then make them call you on every load,you want to dicker price,that's how,if you rely on clink,well you get what you get
If you are not on the C-Link you will only get the automated message on the load opportunity with many push this button to learn more about the load and the pay. You will still have to call in to dicker on load price.
EasyTrader
But no luck, the new system doesn't allow for any comments on mac 31 just a YES or NO.
So if we get a "load opportunity" you can not use a message 12 on that load offer? I was under the impression you could still say no with a counter offer.
Do not forget that this is a beta test so send in your feedback on what you like and do not like to contractor relations
I do believe that this new dispatch system is about response time and being able to cover a load as fast as possible. I think the goal is to not give the customer time to call another carrier who might just have a truck closer willing to take the load at the price offered.

Reactions: 1 person

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I believe the plan is to eventually give us a line to type in a reason for refusing a load but they need to get that fixed ASAP, in my opinion. The idea of counter offering would make things move along.

The system worked well for us and everything seemed to happen quickly but we were accepting a load opportunity.

The only other problem I experienced was typing in the run number on the accept/refuse screen. I kept having to go back to the screen with the offer to get the number. I finally realized I need to write down the number before I leave the screen. Duh!

I have to add, though, if you don't have a spread sheet with your figures (what it takes to run your truck) this would be a good time to do so. You need to move quickly to make a decision and you need to know what it takes to have a profitable run.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter

Do not forget that this is a beta test so send in your feedback on what you like and do not like to contractor relations[/SIZE][/FONT]
I do believe that this new dispatch system is about response time and being able to cover a load as fast as possible. I think the goal is to not give the customer time to call another carrier who might just have a truck closer willing to take the load at the price offered.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

What dream world are you living in? The new system is all about getting contractors to accept the low rate loads. It's all about the money for FECC, us contractors are on our own.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator

A cheap load is a cheap load under the new system and also under the old system and we will refuse it. When a load is offered out and each truck then refuses it FedEx Custom Critical immediately knows they have to make a decision on how to cover the load. There is always that possibility that the cheap load will be sent out to the trucks and that load will be getting one truck closer to home so they jump on it instead of just dead heading.

jth214

Seasoned Expediter
I had my first auto-offer via phone about 10 days ago. Had no problem except as I pushed in the number to accept, almost at the same time I had a call beep in on my cell phone. Being old and confused most of the time, I hit the end button by mistake. I was not able to beep in to see who it might have been. After about 15 min. of not hearing anything, I assumed the run had been taken by someone else. By chance I checked my status and to my surprise, I learned I was on a run! The one I had accepted. I double checked with dispatch and they confirmed I had accepted and been placed on the run. It must be if you receive the third offer and accept, they call with the confirmation before you complete the offer call. I was listening to all the options being offered at the end of the call: repeat, pay breakdown, etc. that you can punch in. It was during the portion of the call that the second call came in. Since that time all offers have came in by standard dispatch means.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

What dream world are you living in? The new system is all about getting contractors to accept the low rate loads. It's all about the money for FECC, us contractors are on our own.
this new system has nothing to do with getting anyone to take a discounted load.If you think so then you better look for another company.You still have right to say no.System does give a better response time so FECC can secure the load before customer goes elsewhere